1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arkadia has 2 suns

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Stave Petty, May 30, 2011.

1. Stave Petty

Stave Petty Member

So i took some time to watch a sunrise from a good point, and what appears to happen is it starts out with a smaller yellow one, and at the same time a much larger blue sun comes out from between the two big moons and eventually overpowers the yellow one.

Can anyone from arkadia studios confirm this is intentional and we are in a binary star system? :)

[​IMG]

2. Ben Coyote

Ben Coyote Member

Well this does bring up a plausible question, as there could be star systems out there that do have 2 suns. (Of course one of the suns would have to be either the same size or one could be larger and thus be further away from the planet in question.

I think a good analogy to this would be from the Moivie sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey called 2010: The year we made Contact. IN it Jupiter is converted into a sun and Europa becomes an earthlike planet.

And in the final closing scenes you see Jupiter as a smll white star that exists as a second sun that is very small compared to our local primary.

So yeah I wouldn't doubt it's possible.

Benjamin, 'Ben' Coyote a.k.a."The Blind Sniper.

3. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

The majority of stars visible in the night sky are binary systems. Our solar system is quite rare, having only one sun :)

But what you're seeing, I'm not sure it's a blue sun...

4. Stave Petty

Stave Petty Member

After that pic once it overpowered the yellow one and it dissapeared the white one became more defined and fuller. Which is the one that you see most of the day.

View attachment 806

5. Telgard

Telgard Member

One wonders what that'll be once space has been implemented and we can fly out there.

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Worlds largest desk lamp.

7. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I think Arkadia has only a single sun. I have played in the crysis sandbox a bit now and there are settings for the sun that control the ecliptic, the rings (aura) that can be added around it and its colors, the angle of the lighty from it, its movement speed, and many more settings.

I made a map that has the sun come up slowly in one color..travel to mid day and gradually become a totally different color and return to a normal sunset. Its truely amazing how much control is available. I would also guess what PP's get to work with and what I goof around in are two different things but even the ( assumed) limited version that comes with crysis has incrdible controls for many things. We truely are only seeing a miniscule part of what the engine can do in EU so far.

8. Ben Coyote

Ben Coyote Member

Well this makes me wonder another thing then and this comes from the aspect of each planetary system itself.

For example, Calypso's sun rises i the east and of course sets in the west, just like any earth class planet would do.. But Claypso must be quite small for it's size.. cosidering that a day on Calypso is just 5 hours long.

Then there's Rocktropia. The interesting thing here is that rather than the sun rising in the East, it instead rises in the south, and sets in the north. This again suggests to me that Rocktropia's rotation is 90 degrees skew to the suns usual track, (This puts it in a roational axix that is tipped on it's side much like the Planet Uranus. which has a tilt of 98 degrees from the vertical. and it's day is shorter at around 3.5 hours with about 1-2 hours of night.

And of course Next Island: Here is another Calypso basedplanet that has a east to west 'Earthlike' rotation, but it's rotation is quicker, considering it has an orbital period of jsut 2.5 hours for it's day cycle and 2.5 hours for it's night. Quite a bit of variety we hae at the moment.

And now for Arkadia. This planet is probably in a double star system, and just like vantastic stated, it wouldn't surprise me that Arkadia is in such a system. of ocurse it also could be like Cyborg Bill stated.. an optical illusion. due to the creativity of the actual game engine itself.

But this brings up a rather interesting question on what other planets might brping up.. for example, planet (insert your favorite planet name here). This could have a regular sized star that is 'eclipsed' by a large moon which blocks out the sun during it's slow orbital revolutions around the planet. I mean if the game engine is that powerful, then it comes to reason that any potential scenario could come up, and this includes ecentric orbits.. (I mean on one orbit the planet might move closer to the star, and thus the star looks begger in the sky, while at other times it looks normal or a little small.

In short, it's a bit of game mechanics combined with Real world physics that make this game unique. That's the real power here, not the economy, but the diversity of which a wold could be developed. (You could have huge "Super earths" or tiney little rocks where the gravity is so high you can barely jump).

So yeah it's not highly unlikely that This couldn't happen in real life, but rather it would make it interesting to see what this game engine can really do.

Just my thoughts.

Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

9. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

hehe funny you state about gravity... I was goofin around with that as well and had some interesting results.