1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advertising auctions for the benefit of Arkadia

Discussion in 'About Arkadia Forums' started by WhiningSkeptic, Apr 27, 2015.

1. WhiningSkeptic

WhiningSkeptic Active Member

Heya,

I've looked through the forum rules regarding sales threads, and while the rules are a bit more liberal here than on PCF, I'd like to see them loosened up a bit more. Right now the rules allows us to notify others about ongoing auctions of rare items and that's about it.

What I would like to see, is an acceptance (perhaps sub forum?) for listing all of our ongoing auctions.

The reason for this is that the Arkadia auction is dead. You can sell a few things here and there, but generally it is dead. During the past week I listed resources with startbids at 100%, only one batch got a bid despite having a market history of 120% and sales in decent quantities.

Being able to promote our auctions here would probably bring more attention to the auction and hopefully increase the activity. In the long run that should be beneficial for the planet. At least that's what I believe.

Right now I won't be listing anything more in there.

Thoughts?

2. Matt Macca Johnson

Matt Macca Johnson Member

Even though I agree that sometimes if you cant beat them join them. but the reason that the AH is not doing well is that more and more people are using personal trading and forums to sell their items.
    We need some way to minimize this.. I don't have the answer but, out of game trading/ forum trading is one of the reasons that I don't play games like WoW or Eve.
    Black Market Forum trading (for lack of a better term) was one of the main reasons I started in EU. I thought because of the in-house sales options (Shops, AH and inventory trading) that there would not be the same forum trading like in those other games, however I have watched forum trading increase over the last 2 years within EU.
    That's my 2 cents, I would like to hear other peoples views on this as well.
    Cheers Macca

3. Maximus Cashicus

Maximus Cashicus Member

Hey WS, what were you selling if you don't mind me asking? I guess there are a lot fewer people on Arkadia in comparison to Caly, so it can be more difficult to get a buyer.Its possible the smuggler weekend affected sales also.

I do agree, if stuff is slipping through AH with MU of 100% there is a problem.

P.S good luck with you hunting log.

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I buy mined resources, residue, bps and pirons from AH. I sell animal oils bps and pirons on AH. They rarely go unsold (except for bps).

Some things I don't normally bother. Extractors, looted components, tier components, socket thingies.

5. WhiningSkeptic

WhiningSkeptic Active Member

The resource I have been selling are a few oils and Madana leathers. Some weapons as well.

@KikkiJikki How close to markup do these purchases usually end up?

I like to use the auction both for buying and selling, which is why I'd like it to grow. Surely, it will take some time, if ever, for it to reach Caly standard. One of the ways to do so would be by raising awareness of what there is. If I am not mistaken, many people don't even bother watching it. Back when I was trading I made a ton of good deals on UL items because of this.

6. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I almost always sell above MU. I do my pricing based on looking at the auction and seeing the prices are actually selling at. I cover my risk by having relatively low SB and then set BO at or a little above the current price level.

Hides can be tough to sell. The clothing industry is not very healthy here. I generally turn my hides into textures and then use the textures on clothes or furniture I craft to skill the various professions. Then TT the result.

However madana hides are used to convert one of the maps to keys so that can help with demand for that. It might be worth looking at the map mission requirements and selling the madana hides in stacks of convenient size.

But this is straying a little from your topic. I'm not opposed to more leeway advertising AH activities within the forum but its obviously a matter for the forum owner which is Arkadia Studios, and they will have to take MA's views into account. Personally I would be a little concerned about the auction related threads flooding the forum and obscuring everything else. If it were to happen I would want:
    • its own forum section for the posts - not the regular selling section
    • ability to set custom filters on the New Threads action similar to what PCF has in place.
    Regards,
    KikkiJikki

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wournos

wournos Active Member

For me it's the AH fee that gets in the way coupled with low stacks of resources. I can't afford risking an unwanted sale each time I put something on auction. Also, some of the basic items I'd like to sell (to squeeze out some MU) I would need a reasonable stack of 500-1000 units to match the low MU while not losing PED due to AH fee.

I currently have enough shrapnel to TT should I need to, to keep me going while I "stock up" on resources to sell.

...and no, I am not suggesting a change/removal of the fee. Though I wouldn't complain if it was.

• Like Like x 1