1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question of Privacy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tayz, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tayz

tayz Member

Hi All, I need some advice.

I want to send someone a RL item, but this being the internet and full of creeps and scammers they are reluctant, and i dont blame them, to give me their real address.

While I live in Australia, and they live in Canada, just meeting in a neutral place and handing over wont work.

Can anyone think of a way in which I might be able to send this item to them?

Thanks for the help

Tayz

2. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

maybe they could ask someone they know to have it sent to their work address or something, but thats the safest way I could think of

Smaller businesses shouldn't be too hard I think if you're close to the boss, so probably wont work if they work at a huge factory but small company shouldn't be too hard I think

3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Hmm.... You can ship to their local post office instead of their street address--or at least you can in the US. You would have to know their name, though.

4. tayz

tayz Member

Great Ideas , keep them coming .

Tayz

5. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Send to a PO Box...

6. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

You could always do it through a 3rd party that you both trust.

7. coz1969

coz1969 Member

In addition to sending the package to the local post office, they might check to see if a local shipping service center also receives mail. I know in the US, there are plenty of shipping centers that also act as receiving centers, complete with their own address. That way, the person you are shipping to could give you the shipping center address.

8. tayz

tayz Member

I will have to check with Canada to see if the local P.O accepts mail for pick up. Great Ideas all, thanks so much. Hopefully we will be able to sort this out.

Tayz

9. Snape

is this the certificate thingo with Larkin? If so, i might be able to help

10. RAZER

RAZER Active Member Pro Users

Here in Holland it is possible since not so long to send a package to the post office for someone to pick it up. So you just have to know the real name of the person and the address of the post office and the person can pick it up after showing their ID.

11. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Plenty of shipping companies now that do site to site with customer pick up.

Try Fedex and see if you can ship to a site in a town close to the person and just have them go there to pick it up. UPS and a few others also have that option.

12. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

If you're selling something make sure they pay you first... :)

13. Larkin

Larkin Platinum Member Staff Member PAF Senior Mod Platinum Member

You caught me ;)

I recently PMed Tayz to see if she could scan the certificate so I could maybe have an electronic copy. That didn't work out so she offered to ship it to me. Indeed I'm always wary in giving my address out to people, so ever since then we have been trying to figure out a way to make this all work.

Was your idea to send the certificate through you to me (if I understand correctly)?

As a side note, if Tayz's certificate came in my mouse package I would certainly do the same back.

EDIT: I have no clue on anything to do with mail. I grew up in the wrong time period lol.

14. Snape

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to offer. Though Tayz may be more comfortable sending it somewhere else in Australia first and seeing as you and I Skype a lot then you might be more comfortable too.

I don't know why but I just found this so funny that I snorted my coffee all down my front so now I need to go change my tshirt and get a cloth to wipe my desk and keyboard.

15. Milena

Milena Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

OMG...I must be old like a Dinosaur...I KNOW what mail is....and also I know my postman:eek:

16. Larkin

I would be good with this. It could work out quite well I think. Thank you for offering yourself as a intermediary! I guess the next step would be to see if Tayz would send you the certificate. What do you say Tayz?

My apologies :D

Mail are those funny things I get from a box down the street, with strange stickers in the corner of them lol. Jk jk ;)

17. tayz

tayz Member

Sending you a PM Snape, so I can get an adress to send it to.:)

So glad we managed to sort this out and happy that Larkin will get his certificate.

Thanks again everyone for all your ideas and help - it was much appreciated.

Tayz

18. Snape

Np glad i could help

I think we can close this thread now

*Thread Closed*

• Like Like x 1
  19. Larkin

Srry just tacking on a post at the end here to thank you both for helping me out! It's much appreciated, and I'll spread some more rep around to you both when I can.

:)

20. Snape

And I'm tacking on another post to let you both know Larkins certificate has arrived with me and I will forward it on shortly. Larkin I can do the same in reverse if you want to send Tayz's certificate to me when yours arrives. I'll msg you in Skype to sort out delivery details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.