1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is everything Mutated?

Discussion in 'Creatures' started by Jod, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Who ever came up with mutated mobs need to be taken out the back and flogged with a phonebook!:soangry:

I've been away for a while and now that I've come back the one major thing I really loved about Arkadia-massive clean spawns perfect for missions- has been ruined by mutated mobs that don't count.

I haven't been to a lot of spawns yet but most of the ones I've been to have been 20:1 mutated which basically rules the spawn out for mission hunting.

Any chance we can get the mutated mobs to count for the basic mob missions?

2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hi Jod,

The inclusion of mutated youngs is basically a preview that will go away next PP VU (prob october). People who loot dna parts have the option of including mutation agent when assembling the dna, resulting in mutated dna instead of the normal. If land owners do this and use it on their land, then the Ark devs will set up missions for them

Basically the natural spawns were just so good that the general opinion was that, with the exception of instance mobs, there was no point in putting dna for those mobs on taxed lands and it was screwing with the DNA market and generally making the LAs a bit unexciting. So that's why the devs came up with the mutated mob idea.

So in summary, was done for (I think) a good reason. And existing spawns should go back to normal soonish.

I do agree that in some of the spawns the ratio of normal to mutated seems a little screwed up.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

3. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Hey mate,

Sounds fair although I don't really like the "make something worse to make something else seem better" mentality.

It would be better to have small natural spawns of mobs dropping DNA so that the LA owners could then put larger spawns on their LA's to attract hunters.

Or just make the natural spawns low maturity so the LA owners can offer the high maturity ones-many people will look for higher maturity mobs to get the higher loots and hence better item loots or to do "Bronze" type missions if they become available.

I understand this is the kind of the mentality I mentioned but it doesn't ruin the spawn all together.

Mutated could have also been put near the existing spawn rather than mixing them in but it is what it is.

I'm sure Dave knows what he's doing better than I do but these types of things would seem preferable from a players point of view.

To know that the spawns will return to the awesome clean spawns they once were is good news.

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

oops I may have been unclear.

They didnt set out to screw up the natural spawns, it just turned out that way :p

It was basically "Hey prospective landowners, here is a preview of some mobs that may be worth putting on your land"

And yep they could have avoided mixing the mutateds in with the normals but then thats less open land for miners, which I am sure they would be vocal about so someone was bound to be unhappy whatever the devs did.

5. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Yeah I understand that and knowing now that its a limited thing and spawns will return to normal makes me feel better.

As I said the clean thick spawns imo is one of the major selling points Arkadia has over Caly and it would have been a shame to lose that.

It's all good,I can be patient ;)

6. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I for one like the mutated mobs and hunt them preferentially when I see them, and I'll miss them when they're gone. I only wish I could get a better TT return on my hunts so I could get more of them before they're gone. I understand, though, that for some low level hunters, the mutated mobs may make hunting more difficult if they don't have the dps to deal with the larger HP. Halix for example. But overall the placement of mutated mobs is good, they're comparable to the other mobs they're among.

7. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

The DPS isn't a problem for me.
    Its just for the missions they are getting in the way.

Once I'm done with a few missions I'll probably give them a look if an LA owner implements them.

I've since found a few non mutated spawns that will keep me busy for the time being.

8. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

The two big issues I see with Mutated mobs vs non-mutated is as follows.

1) They have considerably more life. Thus they take considerably more ammo to kill.

What this means for me at least is that my potential loot to ped expended just isn't worth it. I see no more "additional loot" when I kill a mutated oro, ostelok or halix then if I kill a regular one but I spend 10-30 TIMES the ammo to kill it.

I tested this on several mobs (17 total of the halix)...to kill a young halix it takes me 4-8 shots and to kill a mutated one takes 30-50..literally...depending on the number of evades. Which naturally there are more of because I shoot more times. I also get hurt far worse because the mob gets to hit me more often.

2) Mutated doesn't count toward mission total.

Meaning when I am in a spawn and see a mutated, I don't hit it when I am going on a mission spawn hunt. This eventually ruins the spawn for me till someone willing to kill mutated comes along and kills them. Add to this the point in #1 about more ped being consumed for the same loot return and why would anyone really hunt these unless they want to sell it to a land owner?

At least this is my experience. I simply won't hit a mutated mob if I can avoid it under any circumstances. I can kill one that is non-mutated and get the same loot, kill it quicker and it counts toward my mission goals.

Why would I want to kill a mutated one? On the off chance I get a mutation agent?

Just my 2 pec...your mileage may vary

9. Neil

All mobs will give an average loot value that is proportional to the amount of damage required to kill the mob. The distributions of individual loot sizes varies between mobs, so it may appear that you're getting no more loot from a mutated, when what's actually happening is you simply haven't killed enough to receive the higher multiplier loots required to balance out the average. If you kill 1000 of the mutated mobs and you'll see that the average TT return (ignoring armor decay) is similar to killing 1000 of the smaller mobs. Same thing applies to all big mobs.

10. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

Could be. I try not to hit the mutated mobs very much due to the fact I have to hit them so much more for the same payout (at least to me) but, even if this is 100% spot on...there is another thing that comes to mind.

Mobs "skill out" meaning they stop skilling you at some point when attacking you. So wouldn't it be better to hit 1000 smaller mobs that turn over faster then 1000 bigger mobs that take longer to kill and thus, "skill out" before you kill them?

I suppose you could use a bigger weapon to even things out.

Dunno...still seems like the mutated are a worse choice if for no other reason then the fact they don't count toward the missions when you do them even if everything else is the same.

I can kill a less HP mob, get a mission credit and move to the next mob faster and thus do the missions faster even if they decide to let mutated count toward the missions.

Now many if the mutated counted and were worth more points then a young.

11. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

it is spot on, need more ped to see it with more hp ofc tho

It's not necessarily for the reason you give but the bold part is kinda what you should do, don't use the same weapon on a 100hp mob as a 500hp mob as example

And to the OP and other who don't know we have a search function:

12. Neil

If a mob is uncomfortably big for you, then you wouldn't want to use the mob to skill evade (which is the skill that dries up after a few minutes of attacking). If any mob other than an uber hp monster takes more than 2 minutes for you to kill, you're almost certainly hunting above your level or using the wrong equipment for the job. If a mob is not "easy" or "quick" for you to kill, then you may also be hunting above your level or using the wrong weapon for the job. The main issue here is not concern over dried-up skills, but it's the excess armor/healing decay you're getting and (possibly) regen loss (if it is not fully compensated in loot). Your evader level and weapon choice (melee/ranged, dps) both make a big impact on the size of mobs you can hunt economically.

13. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

That's one of the reasons I don't like the high HP but low damage types. Especially when they're assigned a low rating. You start hitting it and realise you're going to be there a long time.