1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are huons popular?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Dylan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Dylan

Dylan Member

Huons have tons of hp and mostly are on taxed land. Why do so many people hunt them?

2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

well last week I got 40 globals, 5 weapons, 3 esi on huons. And it's not hard to keep your armour and fap decay close to the 5% of total cost which is a good target. Plus I'm addicted to swirlies.

3. Dylan

Dylan Member

lol Kikki, I see you globaling on them all the time :) I just know of a couple mobs of the same level that have less HP, and so go down using less ammo. I assumed that was a good thing, but I am pretty new. Maybe you can share your thoughts?

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Well one of the many loot theories is that the return is influenced by the amt of damage done to a mob. Thats why you are more likely to global on a huon compared to an Oro. So if you like swirlies, high HP mobs that do relatively low damage are superfab.

Now huons have been beefed up since launch cos of their extreme lack of aggro and low damage but even now if I hunt at the right level (young to old) I find that aggro is minimal and damage is manageable in shogun+ 5b.

Contrast this with Beladoth that are nominally higher level for the same maturity. I tried them out last week and found they were easier than huons (rarely took more than one damage per hit - which means I am overprotecting) but they were significantly more aggro and appeared to attack more frequently. I took more than double armour decay and the loot return appeared to be lower. With Beladoth I need to tag from a distance and pull one guy out else I get swarmed. If I am smart about it, Huons allow me to run up to one with a pistol and shoot with low risk of attacks from others. So personally I find that, with my gear, Huons are a little more eco to hunt than Beladoth.

Not that there is anything wrong with hunting lower hp critters. In theory you should be getting 90% of your weapon and ammo costs in returns in the long term. So shoot 1000 1.6k hp critters or 2000 800 hp critters may well give you the same sort of return. You will probably have less globals but that doesnt mean you are worse off.

Ideally you want to hunt for markup. THis means knowing the loot that is in demand and what mobs drop it. Then target those mobs. Go for the loot with MU>110%. That's not so easy on arkadia because the economy is so young. With the obvious exception of esi, weapons and possibly armour, I'm not aware of any local hunting loot that has good MU just yet.

In the absence of decent MU you can evaluate mobs based on what you can kill without need for excessive fapping. It may be that with a high hp mob, they get enuff blows in that you regularly need to combat fap. Thats wasteful because they get to regen and you are getting hit more and if you are like me you have a bigger fap for that purpose that is a little less eco than the herb box I use between combat. With a lower hp mob (depending on mob attack damage) you may be able to kill the sucker without needing to to fap at all. I believe that fap costs and armour decay costs are not factored into your loot return. So anything you can do to keep those down is worthwhile.

One other benefit I seem to get from Huons is awesome skilling. But I can't say skilling would be less on other mobs becuase I simply havent tried other mobs enough. I just say that these guys work for me. I came to arkadia with lvl 38ish laser sniper, am now at lvl 46 and would probably be higher if I hadnt switched to pistol for the last couple of weeks.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

Ignore Level as that got absolutely nothing to do with how dangerous or hard a mob is, use mob name + maturity and you will be alot better off in the future, and I guess Kikki answered you on the rest already