1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do When Out Of Peds

Discussion in 'Ask an Adviser' started by Macpen, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Macpen

Macpen New Member

I took such a big, weird and unusal loss in mining today, I am wondering what to do, without spending more peds. Seriously so few hits and only getting listerium and oil, irrespective of where I mined, is very bad luck, a programming glich or just fleeced. What happened to all the other ores and enmatter? 50 ped, plus 70 ped decay on amp is not substainable. Definately not enough playtime for the investment. I felt cheated. The experience dented my confidence in fair gameplay, so my peds can sit for awhile. I expect to lose 20 to 30%, anymore and the experience is too brief to enjoy.

Love the game, but need ways to keep entertained, when I can't afford to spend peds.

The Scavenger Hunt is great. The landscape kinda all looks very much the same to me. The quarry is looking fantasic.

Any chance of training sessions for Group Sweating? I tried to sweat with three other players, but they didnt have a clue how to work together and I failed teaching. Could not instruct, shoot and heal at once. Defintely need a shooter (no place to drown mob) and maybe even two healers, while players learn how to work as a group. I came across the big blue birds today and wondered how they would suit for small groups to sweat. Sweating on the Ark at present, is not worth it for either the skills or the sweat value. Not exactly a social occasion here either.

Huge social interaction goes on during sweating at Calypso, so even if sweating is tedious, it is a great place to get to know other players. Lots of instruction and questions answered on all parts of the game, as always lots of high level players skilling up at sweat groups.

Swunts also eventuate regulary from the sweat groups. There is opportunity to kill mobs you normally couldn't get near, which is a thrill. Lots of benifits from group sweating, so are there leaders on the Ark who can help get it started?

Exploring here is a little tedious, but I am assuming the landscape is still being developed. Love some caves to discover, both on land and underwater. Nice to see some trees and logs with cavaties also. Great if we had missions that took us exploring caves and entering camps, huts etc to find clues.

What I would like from missions is: A reward no matter how small for every stage. Skills are always welcome, but in addition I would also like something tangible I can admire. Even fruit or dung would be welcome. Speaking of dung; are the mobs constipated? I have yet to see a steaming pile. It is also very disappointing to find an object and not get to keep it. Had a mission on Calypso where I didnt get to keep the stuff I found. Wouldn't be difficult to have much superior missions to Calypso.

I want easy, quick missions, intermediate missions and hard missions, so I have a choice of mission to try and complete, depending on how much time I have to play. Some tough missions to just chip away at. Lots of simple missions are great whenever one has a little time and you get to know the planet. Sure, have a hunting mission for each mob, but also have lots of other missions, that don't require a huge outlay of peds to complete.

I wouldn't mind several missions that finds a blueprint via clues, requires mining and hunting for the material (also perhaps at sites found by clues), then manufacturing to get the reward, in addition to a skill reward for each profession required. This type of mission would easily fit into the storyline. Treasure mining (along with the artefact), could also produce a blueprint and mission along the same lines.

Orienteering type missions would be fun and good for quick missions and could also fit into storyline. Another simple mission, could be to find every type of mob on Arkadia and either kill it, or die by it. Fruit for a kill and dung for being killed? Decent reward when completed would be nice. This would get newbies exploring, and checking out which mobs they could tackle. I am sure I haven't met all the mobs yet.

A few missions including skills with the vehicles could be fun. I am great at crashing the valk, so when the Arkadia vehicles get released, perhaps some type of mission to stretch the driving, piloting skills, would be fun. The reward could be a racing stripe, star etc for each stage so everyone can see the acheivement.

It is a given that the old ruins will be some part of future missions, but I would like some that include all the professions and gives everyone the incentive to try everything available.

There seem to be no shops here, or even a really popular place where everyone goes to trade, do vehicle repairs, offer services, invite other to team hunts etc. Sometimes it feels like I am alone on the planet. Great to have an area where folks meet up. Perhaps some sort of regular raffle or prize is needed, to attact more people to one area, just to interact. Display units at no cost could help establish one area as a trading centre. Newcomers to Arkadia would find such a place useful as would the locals for selling loot and manufactured goods. If there is such a place already, sorry to be blunt, but it is in need help to function better.

That was my wishlist for entertainment when not mining, manufacturing or hunting. Is there entertaining stuff for me to do here, without peds? I am up to the second stage of the Oro, losing peds and finding it a little tedious, so suggestions very welcome. Apoligies for the ramble. Had to do something whilst not playing. Thanks Shirl.

2. Milena

Milena Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

For sweating I can say we (the advisers) formed and trained alot sweat/swunt groups last few weeks.....sadly if no adviser nearby they spread around back to the firebases and sweat punys again ...but not everytime a fapper is avaiable and usually if they cyrcle the mob fine they can stay alive a while without fapper :)

3. Macpen

Macpen New Member

Thanks Scout, I suspected it might be very difficult to get group sweating established. Agreed, little need for fapper, just hard to convince everyone to circle close, and not run when hit, without one. A fapper gives folks confidence. Appreciate the efforts training. A sign to push me in the right direction. ie Group sweating this way, possible? Given time, I think Arcadia is going to be the most interesting planet. Thanks for response.

4. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Active Member

And I would suggest to ditch the mining amp for the time.

It only adds unneeded decay costs to the run.

Regards,
    Ion

5. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

Yes, before the last update there were often sweat groups at the Quarry, since the update it is perhaps a little more difficult to spot them if they are going, since the terrain changed and the area not far from the revive outside where circles used to gather is not so easy to spot. However, even before the update, it varied the number of people sweating at one time, and the different times they would gather. So, yes, sweating and swunting groups are around there and the advisors as well as others try to help out as much as they can with that, it will just take time to develop.

One thing I regularly remind folks of is the newness of our planet. It is now roughly 2 1/2 months old, many many things are still being developed, tweaked and planned. As you described, the main things to do without spending ped on the primary professions is socializing, sweating etc. The Quarry imo is the best place for that, if you have any interest in helping out new players, as that is what it is there for. Many of us have tried very hard to also encourage 'hanging out' at Celeste Harbor for trading etc, since it is the main city, it is now supposed to be the location of the ASF, to find pilots and traders for example. But for now, the numbers of people are not high, and they seem to remain spread out, many still hang out at the privately owned land area Sanctuary, as it seemed to be the highest populated place the first couple of weeks after launch (lots hunting Huons) and many have just chosen to stay there as their base since then. This is something it is up to us as players to shape over time, based on our own actions and choices of where to 'park' ourselves. The dev team has said clearly that we will shape the future storyline ourselves by our actions, and that includes dev attention to developing or building up the areas we seem to use the most, but I've said before I don't think they can really 'upgrade' a privately owned land area that way because many choose to hang out there, unless they do the same for the other private land area as well, so we will see in future I guess. Some are already doing some events, or planning them, but we are a planet primarily focused on the newcomer for now, so most events by players are aimed at them as well. Missions etc are all in the pipeline for the future of course.

Best other advise I can offer is to try a bit of really eco play, like Ion said dump the amp for mining maybe, and of course try different areas, wherever you were doesn't sound like a very good mining spot but there is a whole continent. Try using the tt armour and weapons, or up a tiny bit, to do the Oro missions, it can actually be great fun and you do gain skills as well.

Best of luck out there, hope you can find something fun to do on our lovely planet :)

6. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

This seems like a very good thread for n00bs to be reading so i'm going to move it to the New Player Area of the forums

*Thread Moved*

7. Foolscap

Foolscap Member

I can't offer much, but if any noobs want a safe place to sweat, I've been killing Hadraada's just SE of the Celeste Quarry TP. Normally in the evenings, EST. You're welcome to meet up, say hi, and sweat anything I'm hunting without fear of imminent and repeat death, although you might miss out on lovely defensive skills :)

8. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

You need to stop when loot is bad, imo.
    Don't chase the HoF....That's what MA wants you to do!

Mining prolly woulda crushed me yesterday so i stopped. What did I do?
    Went to some random FBA and scan-swunted punys.
    Nice slow decay of pedcard doing that so, NYEH to you MA!
    :D

Ended up bumping into a very longtime player I have never met before and chatted while playing w/ the punys.
    She was very nice and now have someone new on my FL and one on her's.
    :)

ED: Hadas would be great for a team sweat/swunt....190 bottles per young. Heck, if you can handle the decay on armor (it's minimal imo), swunt em solo....Lotta skills and again, nice slow decay of pedcard.

Tippin'

9. Kajada

Kajada Member

Couldn't agree with you more if I tried AJ, except the 'chasing the HoF' bit, loots really bad atm, so we need a few air heads with lots of cash to burn doing some chasing, that way the Ark lootpool gets a much needed boost for the rest of us to use ;)

10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

What about making some mining maps using Rookie Finders? That way you can go back and mine only the areas where you know there are resources. I guess that's more a suggestion for when you have "low peds", not zero peds. :)

I have some rookie finders in storage, if you find me in game.