1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Tier?

Discussion in 'Ask an Adviser' started by miteke, Dec 20, 2012.

1. miteke

miteke Member

I keep seeing that vairou8s items increase in tier. Is there a web page that has a good explanation of tiering? I saw some pages that suggested that you can tier up an item in other ways too. Does it have a double meaning? You would think the wiki would have better info but it is quite sparse in many respects.

2. Milesio

Milesio Platinum Member Platinum Member

Tier is a plug you can use for add some enhancer items (crafted) to weapon or tool. You can craft (with a BP) enhancers for improve damage, range, economy (in weapons) or range, depth (in mining tools).

Tier plug open automatic in limited items but not in unlimited items. For unlimited you must reach near next level. You reach tier 0.9 then open new tier window in info item option, see wich materials you need for next tier level then click tier button when you have all. You do same thing for 1.9, 2.9....Each new level need more expensive materials.

3. miteke

miteke Member

So each tier point opens one slot for an enhancements? So I'm glad I did not buy any of those enhancement items yet or they would have been useless.

4. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Yes, each tier opens up one new enhancer slot (you can see these at the bottom of the item's info window). Amps and attachments (scopes, laser sights) are different from enhancers; they don't use enhancer slots and behave differently from enhancers.

5. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

A Tier is something a weapon should increase by when you use it. Unfortunately this is bugged and a lot of UL weapons wont increase in Tier with use. Eg my ML-35 is stuck at 4.1 for about 9 months. MindArk are looking at this, having coffee and looking at it again. Sometime next year in 2013 they will look at it, and put in the too hard pile again. That is what Tiering is.

6. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

This might not explain the tiering process in itself, but it will explain what enhancers do and pro/cons of using them.

Enhancer shop: Celeste North 14 this thread got a nice explanation on what they do when you add them to the tiered item.

And it's not bugged as you could read in the previous post, it's just super slow on some items and MA is looking into this issue as you can read here

7. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

When an item doesn't move in 9 months I wouldn't describe it as slow. I would say it is bugged for certain weapons. It appears to affect the older Calypso Level 100 UL weapons. MindArk are looking into the issue and we can only hope for a speedy fix soon.
    With respect to Arkadian weapons however, they Tier very quickly.

8. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

It's not bugged, it's featured.

And it's not just the old weapons. my Cap-303 smuggler is very slow to move now its at 4.x

9. miteke

miteke Member

What would you do with a tier in a mindforce chip? Are there plug-ins for that? How about melee weapons? I see lots of plug ins for mining and ranged weapons.

10. KikkiJikki

Attack chips and melee weapons take the same enhancers as ranged weapons.

11. miteke

miteke Member

So, like the weapon attack enhancer I or weapon accuracy enhancer I would work well on the starter MAKO FAL-1 after it gains a tier? Is it worth it to buy the enhancers for these simple weapons?

12. Neil

I suspect it's not worth the extra cost to use enhancers on low level weapons. But I haven't personally tested to see how long enhancers last in low level weapons, so I can't say for sure.

13. miteke

miteke Member

So I bought a small stack of weapon attack enhancers to put on my starter sword but when I tried to drag and drop the stack on the weapon it failed. The item is limited and it says it is tier 1.3. What is the problem? Does it have to have a higher tier? I thought limited items tier up automatically. do I have to do something to allow me to use the tier?

14. KikkiJikki

You'll need the weapon to be unequipped at the time. If you weapon is tier 1.3 then you will see the slot for tier one is open. You can drag and drop tier one enhancers to that spot

15. Colbey Kal

Colbey Kal Member

Read Alice's Guide for a bunch of info - Tiering looks to start on page 33. It's a must read for all player.

16. miteke

miteke Member

Thanks. That worked.

Can you use the same enhancer in more than one tier slots? I assume so since there are like 10 (possible) slots and only a handful of different enhancers.

What does everyone think are the best enhancers?

17. KikkiJikki

Yes.
    It depends on what you want to achieve.

18. miteke

miteke Member

The guide is not too optimistic about the enhancers :(

19. Neil

Neither am I :eek:

I would say only use enhancers if the extra loot MU justifies the extra expense, or if using enhancers significantly cuts your defensive costs. It can be difficult to work out the extra expense since enhancers break randomly, you sort of have to take averages.

20. Kinnison

Kinnison Active Member

AFAIK the random chance of an enhancer breaking is not affected by the base cost of one use of the item it's attached to. (I don't have any proof of this.)

The "bigger" the item being enhanced, the more difference an enhancer makes. An example might be weapon damage enhancers; any damage enhancer adds 5% (IIRC) to the base damage potential of the weapon. Stick an enhancer on a TT pistol, therefore, and you'll get much less bang for the buck than if you put it on a LAW-46 (for example).

It's up to you, but IMHO it's not worth putting enhancers on basic equipment such as the weapons from the TT.