1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The science behind games!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Bullo71, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Hello folks it is Bullo, the dud that just said hello in the greetings part of this forum.

As i mentioned there I study game development at Stockholm University. Me and my budy Erik are in the process of writing our Bachelor Thesis. At the moment we are looking for people that play Etropia Universe that can help us fill out our questionair (2 min tops, probably less). If you got time we would be endlessly greatfull!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XLTwcjub0YdEZz86_wgR4xwTYLa2QsTtfxT5b_ju-Fw/viewform

If you have any questions about the questionair please contact: keav8023 @ student.su.se

Many thanks in advance! :hail:

Sincerly Kenneth and Erik

• Like Like x 1
  2. May

May Active Member

I have some small questions about this questionnaire.
    There is an Entropia Universe survey on PCF, from 2 students in Computer Game Development at Stockholm University, for their Bachelor Thesis.
    Going by their names they appear to be female, so I'm assuming we are dealing with two teams here.

So I was wondering: why are there two Bachelor Thesis done about the same game, at the same time?
    Are they complementary, or meant to be contradictory in conclusions?
    Dealing with different parts/influences of the game?
    Seen from different gender point of views?
    Is one team new to the game and the other consists of long time players?
    Or is this choice of subject just a big coincidence?

On a more practical note: I'm curious if you also have the opportunity to pick the brains of MA, or is this purely about the players point of view?
    And is this going to compare a RCE MMO to general MMO's?
    Regardless: it would be interesting to read the end-results. :fineprint:
    Do you and the other team plan on publishing the final thesis? Or is that not in the plans/common?

GL with your study. =)

3. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Hello May and thanks for your interest in our survey.

Yes there is two teams , the others group are 2 female students that do a comparance with wow and Entropia, this servey here is just about Entropia and it's social interaction and how Entropias some what uniqu real money trade reflects on the social interaction (if it does or not ?). Do not remember the other groups exact question of researce atm but it is a series of 3 researche papers that will reflect on moneytrade in MMO from same Universitey. So yes, they will complement eachother. The 3rd group will not cover Entropia I believe. Each group focus on how players precieve the game.

The subjects were introduced to us by our university mentors and each group chosed their topic out of interest.

Surley we can post result of research when it is done for you all to read !

At the same time I would like to ask if more of you like to fill out the questionair, if you have the time... It is a short survey and we do need more partisipants... so once again :hail: thank all that answered, and we will be gratefull for more answers if possible :)

Me and Eriks survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XLT...ju-Fw/viewform

The other groups survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UCAl98AYtPisquNh_BrQA_Ao5nVpO6xwh3VkFZHQIhQ/viewform

4. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

HI lads and ladies! :D

We now go in to the last week for our survey and hope that we can get some more answers still.

We only have 1/3 of the answers we need so it would be greatly appreciated if you honored players took the time to help us out. :hail:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XLT...ju-Fw/viewform

Many regards
    Kenneth & Erik

5. Lighterthief

Lighterthief Member

6. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

It most sirtenly do! Many thanks :)

7. Milesio

Milesio Platinum Member Platinum Member

8. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Many thanks, many thanks :hail:

9. May

May Active Member

Thanks for answering.
    Because there seemed to be more than one survey, I thought it would be more specialized.
    But reading all three together should give a complete picture in the end.
    So yeah, looking forward to see the results/conclusions.

I did both surveys, and it was good to see that it wasn't pages full of multiple choice questions.
    Those I find usually frustrating, because its results can be 'steered' by the way of asking/presenting it.
    So it was nice to have the open questions: it's likely much more work for you, but should paint a more realistic picture.

Hope you get enough responses to make it valid, and GL finishing your Thesis.

10. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

HI again dear Entropia fans.

Thanks May we need it :)

It is your two favourit scientists... you ---> :huh:

We been please that we got 50 answers so far and our mentor is so please that he want us to go two more days to try and get close to 100... Me and Erik ---> :surrender:

But we are non the less here once again to plead for your kindness :hail:

Live long and prosper and what else you wish for and we cross our fingers :dark:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XLTwcjub0YdEZz86_wgR4xwTYLa2QsTtfxT5b_ju-Fw/viewform

Kind regards
    Kenneth and Erik

11. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Hi all!

Thanks for your time and pations with us and our survey. :hail:

We today closed the questionair and are now begun to process the material. :)

We will post a brief summary and result of your answers once we are done (beginning of June).

till then... live long and longer. :D

Cheers
    Kenneth & Erik

12. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Hello good folks of this forum, it is Kenneth & Erik again.
    I think we promissed a summary or Abstract as it is called in science essays :)

Thx again for answers and your time helping us out.
    The essay got a pass so we owe you to atleast show what we found out about you guys playing this game :)

"
    Abstract
    The goal of this study was to gain insight and identify how real money affects the social interaction in a "massive multiplayer online" (MMO) game as Entropia Universe (EU). One problem area has been detected in previous studies of similar games where an irritation of the social interaction was significant if a player bought benefits with real money.

By mapping the players' perception about the question: What factors influence the motivation to play Entropia Universe? have for this study developed a questionnaire that intends to collect answers on how players of Entropia Universe are experiencing the game's economic and social mechanics. The respondents has been offered free responses and the authors have then transcribed and categorized the respondents' answers where it was possible to fit into a proven model of social interaction in MMO based games.

The model was originally developed by Richard Bartle for MMO's predecessor MUD (Multi User Dungeon) but have both been tested and revised by Nick Yee for the new MMO games. Yee's model has since then been used by Vili Lehdonvirta to reconcile the concept of RMT (Real Money Trade) which in the study refers to the market with virtual items for real money. The model has been further iterated by the authors whom adds "Economy" to the model's other three categories: "Achievement", "Social" and "Immersion", to suit this study and the game Entropia Universe.

The conclusion that emerged from the respondents surveyed for this study is that they are over 30 years old and have been playing Entropia Universe for four years. In this study, the economy is the central but not the most appealing aspect for curious new players, it is the economy that keeps them in the game. What attracts most to start playing is immersion (can be interpreted as the game world and its history). Immersion also continues to be a strong contributor to continue playing.

In summary, the immersion and the economy are the most important aspects to the respondents and the players in this study, where the social interaction and to develop their character's abilities (Achievement) exists, but is not perceived as what the players put the most focus in Entropia Universe. The authors take the results from the study and asks how trade in real money games affect social interaction in the Entropia Universe and concludes that in this study we see an indication that the social interest is noticeably weak, contrary to the economic interest. There are players who have expressed interest in the social part of the Entropia Universe, but the study's winning categories is the immersion in the game world and the economic aspect of the game."

Cheers folks and game on
    Kenneth and Erik

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  13. May

May Active Member

Grats to the both of you for passing! :biggrin2:

Thanks for posting the Abstract: though the results are not surprising, it's still nice to see them confirmed.
    Would you happen to have a link for the other two Abstracts?