1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The joy of helping. :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Hodges, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hodges

Hodges Member

The past few days, I hadn't seen any new players in need of help/information. This evening, we had a newcomer in the Quarry, and he seemed eager to learn about marketing in game. I helped him finish his arrival missions, then took him to a Firebase Academy to do those missions. Once we got to the part involving marketing, he had a lot of questions. I actually had a lot more information to give than even I realized, and it seemed to help him a lot.

I really love helping people. :)

Anyone else got any stories to share about people they've helped or been helped by that just put a big smile on your face? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

That's what it's all about, FH. :)

Pay it forward...

3. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I took on my first disciple a week or so ago...Never used to do it officially but since they get rewards now too I decided to try...Dude was in game and gung ho for 3 days...havent seen him since the first time I was in the middle of a mining run and didnt go hand him ammo to hunt with..

Thought I picked him right by the way he was askin questions and actulally retaining what i told him at quite a fast pace.

But yeah I like helpin people best I can without chasing rewards for doing so. I remember the nice people that helped me when I started.

4. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

I've taken on a few disciples already, none have been dedicated enough to graduate yet, couple are just now and then players and going through it real slow, that's ok by me, at least they never ask me for items or ammo to play. Couple others were on a week and have never seen them again, they must have decided game was not for them. Couple just have problems with keeping going because luck is just not with them, so I help them out by hiring them as my hunters, I give temp loan of armor/gun/ammo they bring back all loot from hunts, if after decay is accounted for there is profit I share it with them 50/50 for their work else at least they got free skills and progressed in discipleship, they like this option. I have been getting my items back after each hunt now as well being those few that never logged in again kept some of my items, oh well at least it wasn't much of a loss m2100 and 5-10 ped ammo not to bad for openly trusting others. Even have this one extremely lucky disciple he was spawned in EU with a 4 leaf clover up his arse or something, 1 week in, on same day 2 HoF's, had a few globals in that first week and he gets nice loot drops from the cruddiest mobs. Needless to say he is easy to disciple and have hopes he graduates the fastest :p Picked up a new disciple last night he seems eager to learn, but thinking he will be one of my hired hunters before long, oh well it is all good, I have no problem helping people that like to honestly work at progressing in the game :)

5. Nobleone

Nobleone Member

^^
    Wall of words.... Ever heard of paragraphs?

6. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

A pair of giraffe's? what?

7. Hodges

Hodges Member

I've seen many people that just wanted things handed to them. It's not always easy to spot, though sometimes it's blatantly obvious. Beggars are never fun to teach, because they only want to learn how to be given things.

The person I was helping the night I made this thread was very eager to learn and learned what I taught very very quickly. I hooked him up with a good mentor but did most of the teaching myself before that. Half the time, he was learning on his own as I was just getting half way through explaining something. He wanted to join a society, so I was walking him through how to apply. He had the app in before I could tell him what to search for. Smart guy. The only thing is that he's used to other MMOs where you can actually make in game money. Most people don't realize that because this game is a legal bank and deals in real world money value, that it's not going to be easy to make profit. The real test is a week into their game play; seeing whether or not they still want to play and enjoy something about it.

I'm actually a free player for the most part. I've deposited 50 dollars and used it all up. I've been given a few gifts and had a great deal of help in the beginning, but now I'm on my own and helping others learn. I don't even have a profession at level 15 yet so I can't be a mentor at the moment, but I still help. I'm in this game for the social aspect, so I'm ok with not having money to blow. Other people don't seem to feel the same, so it is a bit difficult to keep people interested in this game. Just how it is sometimes.

8. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hopefully the ones I have helped over time remember that help and pass it forward as I did every since Slither rescued me from the atrax op north of Jason and guys like Dr. Doom taking me on my first really big hunt on his Esto La simply because I happened to be there mining and didnt know how tough they were at that time. Donvoon Crazyhunter for being a reliable buyer and teaching me how MU worked when I started mining. Guys like that have made the game worth playing not only by their leading by example but also to have something to look up too for the future.

Ohh and cant overlook Deathifier. I remember seeing him in a service center and saying hi and thinking how cool was it to have someone of his ingame stature stop what he was doing at the time to simply chat and give pointers to a 2 week nub that I was at the time. That is what impressed me most so far as I have never been in an MMO where someone that staure didnt just put you down for being new and not knowing how things worked.

9. Hodges

Hodges Member

Yeah, sadly there are people who treat noobs badly just because they're noobs. I could never do that and love doing the opposite. It's always nice to see people who help noobs just to do it. I'm still technically noob, but I've learned a lot already and like passing on information.

• Like Like x 1
  10. New York Rose

New York Rose Active Member

Great Going!!...That is so wonderful to hear!..:)