1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSS Feed State-of-the-Universe-Address-2014

Discussion in 'Entropia Release Notes' started by ArkadiaBot, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ArkadiaBot

ArkadiaBot Bringer of News PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

[h=3]State of the Universe Address 2014[/h] Greetings Entropians,
    MindArk is happy to report great progress achieved in many areas of Entropia Universe in 2013. The MindArk team spent much of the year improving the user experience and upgrading infrastructure to improve performance and accommodate more simultaneous users.
    2013 Highlights
    Entropia’s 10 Year Anniversary
    2013 began with MindArk celebrating the ten-year anniversary of Entropia Universe. Special events were held, and hundreds of special TEN Edition items were looted throughout the year to celebrate this exciting milestone.
    Infrastructure Upgrades
    A series of major infrastructure upgrades was performed during 2013. These upgrades have helped to improve server capacity and stability, and allowed for faster and smoother deployment of Version Updates, patches and hotfixes. These upgrades also help our developers and partners to more efficiently develop new content and systems by streamlining the internal development pipeline.
    Marketing
    MindArk vastly increased its marketing efforts in 2013 resulting in a more than 110% increase in the number of new participants compared to 2012. Those marketing efforts also resulted in a very encouraging 57% increase in the number of new depositors. By all significant measures such as average simultaneous users, new accounts, and daily economic turnover, overall activity in the universe was at an all time high during 2013, due in large part to the MindArk’s latest marketing efforts.
    New Player Experience
    Additional improvements to the new player experience were implemented in 2013, carrying on the focus given to this area in late 2012. These efforts have synergized well with the marketing efforts described above, and have contributed to the improvement in conversion rates and participant retention. A series of player-contributed YouTube tutorials were also created in cooperation with MindArk, and new participants were encouraged to view those informative videos to get off on the right foot in the Entropia Universe adventures. The new player experience is an area that will continue to have MindArk’s attention moving forward, as it is an essential component of the growth of the universe.
    Processing
    Many participants were thrilled with the addition of Paypal as an official Entropia Universe payment processor in the second quarter of 2013. In addition, new participants have the option of purchasing special starter packs via Zong, Paypal’s mobile payment solution.
    A major overhaul to the avatar graphics and creation system was implemented early in 2013, resulting in incredibly realistic looking avatars and enhanced avatar customisation possibilities.
    Moon Estate
    A new type of estate management opportunity was offered in 2013. A group of participants pooled their resources and bid 1.5 million PED to acquire the rights to manage the first such estate, which subsequently was launched as the Monria moon estate in May 2013.
    New Systems/Features
    Several exciting new exciting features were introduced to Entropia Universe in 2013 which have been widely approved by participants. Those features include mission and skill progress trackers modules, as well as new types of consumable items that buff avatars in various ways. In addition, weapons and other items introduced in 2013 sport interesting new abilities, for example: life leech, faster reload speed, or damage blocking. New convenience items were also introduced toward the end of 2013, including portable trade and repair terminals and auto-loot pills.
    Veteran Appreciation/Cost to Play
    As promised in the 2013 State of the Universe Address, MindArk implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in Entropia Universe, including:
    Average TT returns were increased across the board for hunting, mining, crafting and other activities.
    Removal or lowering of many unpopular fees, such as the armor equipping fee.
    Increased the unlimited item tiering speed.
    The minimum condition of most items lowered to 3%, freeing up a large number of PED, especially for owners of older UL weapons.
    Reduced the volatility of many activities, especially for lower level avatars.
    Decay and ammo consumption were removed when using a weapon not aimed at a valid target.
    2014 Roadmap
    MindArk has ambitious plans for the development of Entropia Universe in 2014, with planned primary focus on the following areas.
    Systems Development
    Social Interface - A completely overhauled and improved social interface has been under development for the past several months, and is getting close to implementation. This upgrade will bring several long-desired features, including offline messaging, custom chat channels and much more.
    Affiliate System - An affiliate system is under development which will allow participants to earn PED by referring new Entropia Universe participants.
    Premium Accounts - Still in the early design stage, MindArk is planning to offer premium account upgrades for a small monthly cost. Benefits of the various premium account types are still being decided, but may include such features as increased storage limits and increased number of simultaneous auctions. We are also considering making premium account upgrades available via daily mission tokens as well as special lootable items.
    Citizenship & Housing System - Development of these systems was unfortunately delayed in 2013 due to the critical infrastructure upgrades taking quite a bit more development time than anticipated, along with several other projects receiving higher priority in the second half of 2013 and early 2014. This project now is now tentatively planned for release in Q4 of 2014.
    PVP - Lots of improvements and enhancements to player vs. player (PVP) combat are planned for the second half of 2014. More information will be made available in a future Entropia Buzz developer notes article.
    New Player Experience - Among MindArk’s highest ongoing priorities is improving participant conversion and retention, and one of the best ways to accomplish that is to continually find ways to improve the experience of new participants. As such, we plan to continue working closely with our planet partners in 2014 to implement systems and features that make Entropia Universe as exciting and user-friendly as possible for new participants.
    Legacy Systems - Progress is ongoing for the reimplementation and refinement of various legacy systems.
    New Systems - Several other interesting new systems are in the early development stage, and are planned for release in Q3 and Q4 of 2014 depending on prioritization of the other projects mentioned above. More details and teasers will be released throughout the year, so be on the lookout!
    Marketing
    MindArk plans to continue to expand and refine its marketing efforts in 2014 in order to maximize the number of new participants joining Entropia Universe. As outlined above, our marketing efforts in 2013 were very promising and we plan to become even more aggressive in 2014.
    Planet Toulan
    MindArk was excited to bring its newest planet online last week. Though still in its beta release, Planet Toulan promises to bring exposure of Entropia Universe to a previously untapped sector of the online gaming audience, and add a unique Arabian theme to the existing planet partner roster. Full release of Planet Toulan is expected mid-2014.
    Cost to Play & Balancing
    Continuing with the improvements made in 2013, MindArk plans to further improve average returns for many activities. One example would be the removal of the clothing equip fee in an upcoming platform release.
    Infrastructure & Development Tools
    Additional improvements to the Entropia Universe infrastructure and development tools are planned, which will allow MindArk and its planet partners to more efficiently develop and deploy new features and content, while minimizing server latency and downtime during patches and version updates.
    Deed and Estate Management
    Several new deed and estate management opportunities are planned for 2014. One of these will be announced in the upcoming planet partner release scheduled for early March.
    Entropia Platform
    Several major public and private organizations have expressed interest in making use of the Entropia Universe platform and collaborating with MindArk for future projects.
    In conclusion, MindArk is looking forward to an exciting and productive 2014 for Entropia Universe and hopes all our participants will enjoy the improvements and efforts we have planned.
    Best regards,
    David Simmonds
    CEO MindArk PE AB

Originally posted here...

2. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

By 110% increase, I assume they mean more than twice as many people created accounts in 2013 than in 2012?

Incredibly realistic might be slightly overstating it :) But they have improved, I'll give them that.

Yes they were increased for the first half of the year only after which loot was decreased a similar amount below normal.

Sign me up for more auction slots. Not sure I like the idea of premium accounts tho... I'd rather have an in-game method for buying/earning more auction slots/storage (even if it's just "pay ped"). I guess it's just semantics.

I'd rather the development time be spent on things players want, like taming and space development. Many people enjoy PVP but how do I say it without offending too many.... making EU more about PVP will only attract the wrong kind of players.

3. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

My guess is pvp part might be cyrene. They need some improvments.

4. BB Global

BB Global Member

Do you know what this means????

It means..

that this....

THE SKY SI FALLINGZ

Never.....

Happened..........

5. Neil

Any speculations or insights into what this might be?

6. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

Im guessing on cyrene and arkadia we aleredy have the shops and aparpment up they just need to be released

7. Neil

Could be, but seems strange to mention that in a SOU article... it sounds to me like they are intending a new kind of deed or estate to manage. Since it's with the planet partner release, it would most likely be on a planet, not in space. All I can think of atm is some kind of farming or renting of shops/booths or something to do with CLDs, thought it sounds like that is still a year or more off.

8. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

My bet is on something for monria instead. If you think it might turn out to be a succesful "planet" maybe you should reserve some peds for next planet partner update.

9. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Platinum Member Platinum Member

I thought it would be land deeds for the various planets and perhaps allowing you to split proceeds of shops and land areas to partners automatically. Perhaps even allow you to rent out spaces in your shop to be managed by someone else... like a guest list.

10. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

The constant expansion of the Entropia Universe sounds like a great idea....at first. With a little analysis however, it seems more like a money grab. I would much rather see MA develop its existing planets/space stations than just putting another one up for sale to the highest bidder.

The increase in new players and more specifically their RETENTION is absolutely critical to the future success of this game. I've been on the fence about investing more into this game, and nothing I've read here is very encouraging as far as I am concerned. Hopefully MA proves me wrong, but I doubt it....

11. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hi ArchAngel,

With the expansion of the universe to Toulan there is a whole new team, along with capital resources, dedicated to growing the game and the player base. Arkadia set out to market to South East Asia and Toulan is clearly targetting the Middle East. So I think that's good. Increased development resources, expanded marketing. Having said that, PPs are constrained by MA in the delivery of new features. It took too long for MA to deliver what Arkadia needed to implement its Treasure Hunting concept. I believe Cyrene progress has been hampered by lack of delivery of key platform features. So there is some truth to what you say. But it's not black and white. As someone who has invested significantly in the success of Arkadia, I can assert that the rewards are there to be realised if you are thoughtful about what you choose to do. I think there are similar opportunities on Cyrene and Toulan.

Regards,
    KikkkiJikki

12. BB Global

BB Global Member

As right as it is, I tend not to think of it as "targeting" or "aggressive marketing". It's a product that's held well through all kinds of player scams, sweatshop mentalities you name it.

Implementation does seem to have been hampered, however; a new PP unveils a gamechanging feature - that takes 3 months to conquer, after which it has been conquered.... waiting 3 months from a boardroom perspective is common sense. Customer (ime) WANT change all the time, as no one really knows if they'll be playing 10 years from now, as they might adapt to do something different.

One thing is for sure - The Cost to Play reduced dramatically with the new lower-tt weapons and made the game accessible in the long term to low-risk players.

If you think 200pedMU for a lvl 4 corrosive chip is too much (11-22dmg) you really want to dip your feet in the water moreso than be "stable on login".

Anything UL used to sell for +$500-15000 only a couple of years ago. Nowadays it can be +$20-50 low end, or upto +$1000 for the upper-mid level.

If those prices don't seem realisitic do you really want to throw $20 at 40 5ped mobs in the hopes of profit?

50% useable condition had a double edge - you could only buy something big if you had double the initial load, but you'd always have half it's value as a fallback.

The new epic (sic.) items average around 100-200ped tt, meaning they are more accessible than ever.

It's changed, it might be easier for some, but it's better imo. (remembers sweatgun decay, atrox no loooters + daily global + Svempa crafting in dark dingy huts)

P.S. When items had ludicrous markup people were less confident that the MU they paid on items would stay in the game, these days unless someone ups the MU with a deposit it is still around.

Might seem envious or childish, but that way market confidence is restored as no one is left "holding the bag"

13. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Ohhhhhh is this a little hint on map1a 2a 3a maybe ;)