1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some tips for Entropia Tracker

Discussion in 'Tools & Utilities' started by Kinnison, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Kinnison

Kinnison Active Member

I have some observations about ET that might be useful to others, as I had to solve these problems myself.

Recently, my PC (which is running Windows XP, and has been having problems for a while) fell over so badly that I ended up having to format and reinstall. In the process, I changed my user name (which was set by the people who put it together, originally) and that caused some problems with ET. Basically, ET leaves some of itself behind when you uninstall; specifically, the Entropia Tracker directory stays in place and that contains the settings file - and there is no option to overwrite it when you reinstall ET. So when I reinstalled ET on a newly reinstalled PC, the settings were referring to the old user name - which no longer exists - and so ET wouldn't load on startup. (I'd restored the contents of My Documents from an external drive.)

So, if you have to reinstall ET on a newly restored PC, it is necessary to make sure that the settings file is deleted first (perhaps having noted some of the settings first) or you might have problems. What I did was to move the screenshot folders to another directory and delete the Entropia Tracker directory in My Documents - and then reinstall ET. It now works perfectly. ET creates the Entropia Tracker directory and also the settings file if they don't exist.

I'd like to make a small request of the authors of ET. It might be nice if the installation routine included an option to create a new settings file to overwrite the old one. I know this is a somewhat rare combination of events, but...