1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I have looked but....

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by Tredo Orbit, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Tredo Orbit

Tredo Orbit Member

I can't seem to find a guide on crafting.

Anyone have a good link to one, I am just returning to the game after being gone since '07 and I would like to know more about the current system.

Thanks

Tredo

2. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I don't think a real guide actually exists... Most of what I've learned has been through trial and error and actually trying it.

3. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

If anyone wants to make one or find an existing one and update it, let me know and I'll sticky it in our tutorials section and make sure said person receives just rewards.

4. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

The only advice i can give on crafting is: don't do it. You can loose peds very fast with crafting, and that can really upset people.

The general principle of crafting is easy
    -make sure you craft stuff that sells for markup then the markup you paid for your ingredients (markup can come from looted blueprints as well)

some additional stuff:
    -the higher the green bar on the crafting terminal the more succes you'll get
    -try to avoid crafting stuff where you haven't maxed the blueprint
    -over 10k's of click there is an average % of succes, % of tt return, % of residue
    -to be succesful in crafting you need to be able to craft a lot, and thus have a high ped balance

5. Tredo Orbit

Tredo Orbit Member

Sounds to me like crafting is something I don't really need to get into for a while. Would be cool if there was a system that allowed crafting non-tradable items. I would do that, I am only looking to craft for my own needs not to sell. but oh well.... wishful thinking. Thanks for all the replies.

6. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

If you craft for your own needs it can work out assuming you mostly use the ingredients you found yourself. Just be careful not to go overboard with it, if you're having a bad crafting run the losses can go very fast. An occasional gun/armor part for yourself won't hurt you too much.

7. Tredo Orbit

Tredo Orbit Member

Yes.. this is exactly what I'm talking about. An occasional part or tool or whatnot so I dont have to buy it. And since I am working on being a hunter / miner thought it would work out in my favor.

8. rick_janson

It likely would. Another example you could go with is starting with Carabok Textures or Ball Bearing/O Rings. Those take materials you will easily find on-planet hunting or mining. Crafting is hard to do as a non-depositor. It took me probably 3-6 months before I started getting into it at all. But I have built up enough skill and PED that I can get by pretty well crafting certain components without depositing anymore. But it's taken me 2 years to get to that point.

9. Uncle Mo

Uncle Mo Active Member

10. rick_janson

It can be.. But if you do low-end crafting with materials you loot anyway, you're really not out much. Some items will actually end up giving you a better return % on hunting/mining loot.

EDIT: I need to write something up for the society website, anyway, so if given a couple of days to flesh it out, should be golden. :)

11. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Great, put it in the Tutorials section when you are ready to publish it.