1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be rules to owning a booth or shop?

Discussion in 'General Economy Discussion' started by Few Scars, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

I wish to put a poll together to see what the Arkadian community thinks about ownership of booths and shops. My view is that a booth or shop is not decoration, it is an important aspect of the Arkadian economy. They should be used by active traders.

We have all seen the disaster on Calypso where booths and shops have been abandoned or inactive, such that it forces the price of remaining booths/shops upwards. This should not be allowed to happen on Arkadia.

My view is that if you own a booth/shop you should be an active trader, else let another player have the opportunity. I feel Cyrus should monitor the activity of booths and shops and unless there is a very good reason, not allow a booth/shop to become inactive.

Cheers
    Bjorn

2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I don't think I can vote on this poll cause it's not a simple issue.

Yes I would like to see all shops and booths active. But when you sell something (including a deed) in auction, you can't really enforce how that item is used. We would need some sort of contract system enforcable by Mindark.

It's also problematical what actions the PP might be expected to take. If you revoke deed ownership, what compensation should the owner recieve. They will have paid a lot more than TT value so a refund of TT is going to cause lots of pain. And if you refund original purchase price that is subject to abuse. Say I sell my deed to someone at 100k and then they breach teh terms of use. Should PP revoke ownership and refund 100k? It looks like me and my mate just made a whole of peds for no effort.

We can't enforce good behaviour within the game. We should however be able to talk about specific situations and people on the official forums so that there is a reputation impact associated with an avatars actions.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

3. Samuel Sam Robet

Samuel Sam Robet Active Member Pro Users

I had to vote no. I believe that Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations is the bible when it comes to a successful economy. I believe there should be free trade, and not mercantilism. That is me, but I am from the United States so of course I want free trade and not intervention on my economy.

Of course personally I want a booth and even bid 5k on more than one booth, and that was my personal limit for 20 item points. I hunt everyday and would have put loot in it everyday. This doesn't matter in the big picture, because our markets should be free. Free market economies are more productive and beneficial and we should not restrict the consumer or the manufacturer from making, buying, and trading any commodities. Just my 2 pec

4. Bemo

Bemo Deactivated User

I agree with Kikk.

-Bemo-

5. Dwiss

Dwiss Member

A booth is deemed an estate in EU - will you dictate what kinds of curtains your neighbour has to put up or what the house has to be used for? Definitly not in RL - so why ask for something like this here. As for the vote i cant press a button as you phrased in a way that doesnt allow a fair answer. Empty booth doesnt mean necessarily inactive - i might vote when this is rephrased :)

6. Yquem

Yquem Active Member Pro Users

Just make so many shops that nobody want to buy it as an investment - just keep prices down - then only ppl that like to sell stuff will buy

7. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Active Member Pro Users

sure make shops cheap so 1 person can buy all of them and resale them.
    camon dudes. the price of everything in this game is 100% what it must be.
    if someone paid 6k peds for a booth so that booth real price is 6k ped, no mather if you want it to be 1k ped or less.

and on the topic. idea for rules for estates is stupid and if you think litle you will see why there will be no rules like that never ever.

8. Yquem

Yquem Active Member Pro Users

Well if they go on auction like 10 every day - then price will fall every day. So even one will buy 100 - he will in the end just loose money.

Full agree with you that current price for a booth on ark is from 5-7k ped. When we have 100 more - im not sure price will be this high - its expencive to be first movers.

9. KikkiJikki

I dont expect them to hold to current price in the long run. not sure how quickly they will come down though. might depend on what happens with the normal actual shops. To me it seems strange to buy and not use them. I just dont see them growing in value.

sorry am going a little off topic now.

10. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Active Member Pro Users

why do you think ever there will be 10 new shops daily.
    if you ask me there wont be new shops on Arkadia minimum the next 6 months.
    having too many shops is as bad as having too litle. (for the game, not for people that want shop for 20 ped.
    I think number of shops is proportional to planet population and size. so Arkadia first need to make more players then relese more shops.
    and who realy wanted shop just bought one.

11. KikkiJikki

I know of a few people who were really disappointed to miss out. THere is still a market out there for shops/booths, perhaps not at 7k per 20 pts though. And when actual shops are released I will be taking a serious look at them to see if one is right for me.

12. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

From someone who has owned a lot of failed calypso shops in the past.

They can open up 100 shops, if there locations are out of the way and not on a default TP like many calypso ones that will not be great for anyone. The location of shops makes these something unique to the entropia universe and shows how arkadia team thinks about its players running the shops, and those trying to view the shops!

Arkadia team reminds me of what its like to feel like the development team cares about there customer. I've bought calypso shops through auction, and you know what. My shops came out bugged and unusable, and worse yet, not near any foot traffic =/ When these came off auction and items where able to be placed....

Thats a Kudos to the Ark dev team. None of us would have been able to run our shops properly if the same ole shop designs where followed. All the planets prior to ark have released a set of shops with large item counts and terrible locations (if they even work). On low populated planets this can be a true test of your patience.

There hundreds of shops on calypso, mostly unused, some are broken, partly because theres so many, partly because they are nearly all out of the way of the general public... A lot of things effect a shops ability.

I'd love to see more shops when the arkadia team is ready to release them. However personally I dont think the celeste quarry shops will lose much value unless the location, or something drastic happens to change the landscape of the celeste quarry.

I love my shop, and I encourage the others who wish to run a business to look into the future Arkadia shops when they come out. I have had nothing but good experiences and a successful start to a new business endeavor.

Thank You Arkadia for a professional sale, and not a money grab like many portrayed a lot of the past estate sales to be.

13. Morgan Gekko

Morgan Gekko Member

Speaking to the thread's title, on a gut level I'd welcome seeing some sort of rules implemented guaranteeing that shops/boothes would be used. Having come from Caly, nothing is more depressing than seeing blocks of shops or boothes sitting empty. Perhaps some were never put up for sale, but many were bought on speculation and the owners just sat on them waiting for the demand for shops to go up. Some may have been bought with the intention of being used but have been so bugged, or in areas so laggy, so as to make them useless. Kudos to the Arkadia team for starting out small and getting it right the first time.

However, as much as I'd like to see property usage rules, if you buy something, its yours to do with as you wish. Theoretically, if the general community doesn't like it they can suck eggs. I don't like it but that's how it is. If you loot a big-ass gun and don't use it, should you have to sell it so someone else can? Perhaps something can be done to recycle shops that are owned by inactive accounts. Maybe there are incentives that can be given to shop/booth owners that actively use their properties. Perhaps bonuses given for different levels of sales. But, once something's bought and paid for, its yours. And you get to decide how you want to use it. Maybe there can be consequences implemented for using it unwisely.

(Just as an aside, perhaps some boothes, not necessarily shops, could be leased rather than sold. The leases would be "sold" by PP, but perhaps a program could be implemented in the game whereby shop/booth owners could lease their properties for a designated length of time to a third party. I know its not an original idea but with a new planet we have the opportunity to try something different than Caly.)

My two pec.

• Like Like x 1
  14. w d roberts

w d roberts Member

Perhaps instead of selling a booth/shop deed, they should sell a one year lease at auction. The owner of the lease document would have rights to the booth/shop for the period of the lease (one year).

When the lease expires the lease document becomes worthless. A new one-year lease for the booth would be sold at auction one month prior to the expiration of the existing lease (to take effect at the expiration of the existing lease).

This way if an avatar goes inactive the booth lease would eventually move to a new avatar. It would also reduce speculation as the value of the lease would be determined by how much profit a trader expected could be made in a year at that location.

Note that no additional "rent" would be due, the cost of the lease is the cost of the booth for the entire year, and that price is set by auction.

15. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

I vote no.

Simple I will not invest in a system like this if I am being forced to run it as someone else sees fit. I definitely will not invest in something I have to explain personal reasons for not managing my investment effectively to a person I owe no explanation to for my actions or loose my investment. The true value of something is what its worth to the owner and you can not justify giving them the original price for it if it may be worth more to them then what they paid for it.

16. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Well said. I'm not sure what kind of consequences could be implemented that would be fair, so I just have to vote No. Accounts that have been inactive for 1-2 years (or more) I think you could retrieve deeds from without too much headache. Beyond that, I don't think there's anything that could be done...

17. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Voted No

Not a simple yes/no type answer though, I mostly chose no because I believe in freedom of choice with stuff of personal ownership. Person owns it they should be able to use or not use it if they wish and not be tied to rules.

I do however think also there could be a system implemented to make things cheaper and keep things in a more usable state. The rent system for instance but that also seems to have failures and short comings. I have posted some ideas on ways to handle how I would build a system but that's just my idea and is in no way perfect either.

The system is fine the way it is. That person payed tons of PED for it they should be able to use it anyway they want or to not use it if they choose not to. It really effects me in no way really, I would never pay that much for shop/booth so apperently it was not worth it to me hence I can't complain if they don't use it. Besides I can always use the Auction House, from most places I seen owning shops and booths is far to expensive and stuff sells for way to much markup from them. I hardly look at them much I pretty much stay at the Auction House because of that plain and simple fact. Most shops and booths are a waste of time to even look at, for me anyways.

18. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

He was sighting it as an example Axe.

19. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

Well i think we did a job well done if only 1 went to a reseller.

Basically here is the next step. We know one was a reseller because he's not putting anything in his shop. So we all need to agree that NOBODY Buys that shop for more then what he paid for it EVER. Let it sit there. If it's not active then MA will see that and with the way things are going on Arkadia we should have some more new shops comming again and we just keep following what we did. If you see a reseller bring up the price to much then dont buy it make them loose there money and force them to start using the shop.

20. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I have only 1 rule:

1) If a shop is empty, DO NOT buy any items from that shop

• Like Like x 2