1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up an event.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Wauspaus, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

Hello everyone,

For my fellow players I decided to explain a bit how the event creation system works a bit by making this tutorial. I made most of the pictures into thumbnails so the post wouldn't be too big.

Step 1:
    So first of all you need to find a Event terminal, they tend to look similar across all planets. For event type areas they look like this:
    Event Terminal.png
    NOTE: For Land Areas the terminals look different, they can be attached to the fertilizer station or the Land Area Marker functions as an event terminal.

Step 2:
    Once you click the Event Terminal the following screen will open:
    EventList.png
    This shows the Event List specifically for this Event Area. Click on "Create Event" (circled in red) to start making the event.

Step 3:
    Now the event creation can start and you will begin at the General Settings part.
    GeneralSettings.png
    It is pretty self explanatory.
    Event Name = The name you wish to make your event.
    Stream URL = You can link an audio stream here for mood music during your event.
    Description = The description for your event.

Step 4:
    Next tab is the Date tab to select the date of your event.
    datesettings.png As you can see at the RED circle I already selected 2 blocks, these color blueish. Each block indicates 30 minutes and when you hover over it, it shows the START time of the block..
    The BLUE circle shows already the change in PED cost for the event. On Arkadia the initial creation fee for an event is 5PED, each 30 minute block you reserve adds another 2.5PED to your event cost. Keep in mind that creation fee and charge per 30 minute block is different on every planet.

Step 5:
    Once you got your times setup. You head to the Rules tab. Initially you have to set the Win condition.
    winrules.png
    Most Votes: Allows players to vote who they think should win the event, this does not have to be a hunting event. Usually for these type of events players vote for the funniest person, most helpful person or closest friend/society member. This Win Rule is ALWAYS set as DEFAULT. Pay attention to this!

Most PVP points: Person with the most killpoints on other player wins. Really good for small areas like Arenas, slightly difficult for bigger event area's unless a large group of players participates.

Most Loot: Everytime a creature is looted the value of the loot is translated into points. Those points accumulate together to form a score at the end of the event determining who won.

Highest Single Loot Wins: Pretty clear, each time you loot a creature the loot is compared to the other creatures you looted. The highest amount of loot you acquired from 1 creature counts, at the end of the event the person with the highest loot from 1 creature wins.

Step 5.2:
    Once the win rule has been setup the additional rules can be selected.
    additionalrules.png
    These rules are additions to make your event more interesting. Like having certain weapons disabled, narrow down the audience you want with max health settings but also pvp enable. There are more options in the pvp specific event terminals but since this is for PVE I won't dive into these.

Then lastly the reputation option. Reputation is meant to be given PLUS or MINUS to players depending on their actions during an event. That in turn should affect whether they can join certain events, that is why this option is here. Each avatar starts with 1000 reputation and so this is set to 1000 reputation by default, anyone below 1000 reputation can not join the event. Not a really important setting but worth mentioning.

Step 6:
    Now we can go to the Tickets tab for the options there.
    ticketoptions.png
    The RED circle indicates the amount of tickets you want to have available for your event. It can only be up to a maximum of 100 tickets.
    The BLUE circle indicates the Ticket Price. This setting is set to 10PED by DEFAULT so be careful to not skip looking at this setting. It could cause players to not want to join your event.
    The YELLOW circle indicates reserved tickets. For each reserved ticket you want you pay 1PED and allows you to give it to other players. These players still need to pay the fee you have set to enter the event though and they are still bound to the rules you setup in the additional rules (like health maximum).

Step 7:
    prizeoptions.png
    PRIZES! No event can do without prizes. This is the last tab and it explains itself. From your inventory drag the items you want to function as prizes for First, second and third place in their respective boxes. Keep in mind that you have to do it 1 by 1, the system does not accept mass drops.

Step 8:
    Once you are happy with it all you can click the Green checkmark in the lower right corner of the creation screen. This will prompt a small summarization of your event. Once you agree all the prizes and creation fee will be taking from you inventory and PED-card and the event will be made.

Keep in mind, once an event is made YOU CAN NOT CHANGE IT ANYMORE. If a rule was forgotten, or ticket price was set to high this can not be changed anymore. It is set in stone, even a support case will not fix this.

I hope you guys found this little tutorial helpful. You can always ask me in game for directions in case needed.

Wzzls

Waus

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Spawn

Spawn Active Member

Can you also add an example event that would be profitable for the event creator and have a nice turnup?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

No I can not. Even if I did know a way how to accomplish this then it would be rather silly for me to post it since everyone who wants to "earn money" would be doing it and it wouldn't work anymore then.
    All I can say, if you attempt to make an event profitable for you then you have to play into what players want. Have a good balance between prizes and ticket price, you can't do an event with 12.5PED being first place, 7.5PED second and 5PED third with a 10PED ticket price. It needs to be attractive.

However to be honest, I get asked this question a lot. My advice, hold events like this if you wish to entertain people, if you want to celebrate something special or if you just wish to have fun. For profit...... don't do it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  4. Spawn

Spawn Active Member

That is the reason you don't see many events. Especially with landareas where you have to pay rent over your own landarea to Mindark.

I will give an example for my old landarea which can lead to profit/break even:

Ola43:

4x neconu young, 1x argo young, 1x mourner young

33 signups, approx 10 hunters attended. Daily trade channel spam.

cost/profit
    25 ped event creation
    50 ped 1 hour rent
    75 ped first prize
    25 ped second prize
    10 ped third prize
    —–
    185 ped cost

payout :

190 ped

profit: a whopping 5 ped.

People often complained about the neconu when I had the landarea, especially miners, but the neconu were the reason the landarea made profit.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

Thank you for your input Spawn.

Although I do believe this information is not really in it's place in this thread. Seeing as it is focused towards the Event Areas not towards Land Areas. Might be best to create a new topic if you wish to discuss/debate mechanics in play for making profit on a land area.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  6. Spawn

Spawn Active Member

A lot of landarea have their event system set to public.

7. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

That does not make them an Event Area, it is still a Land Area. Please make a new topic if you wish to discuss it. This topic was not created for that which you are trying to do.

8. Spawn

Spawn Active Member

I don't know what you think I am trying to do.. I am not being offtopic. A landarea is nothing but An event area with some player owned land surrounding IT. If the owner sets events to public, creating An event works EXACTLY the same.

But since you obviously don't want me in this thread, I Will not post in here any more. But not before I applaud your well written tutorial. Well done!

I Will fuck off now ok?

9. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

I specified this towards event areas because they are not privately owned, they have 0% tax on Arkadia at least and most events which happen regularly on them are meant for fun not profit. Of course the creation system is the same but the essence as to why you make events on them is different. The initial question was fine, if it is possible to make a profitable event. The post after that clearly is not a contribution to a tutorial but more a complaint in general about the system.
    Hope that explains it better why my opinion was like that. However seeing as this is a crucial part I will change the thread name and include the reasoning behind why to or why not to make an event :). Perhaps we can turn the things we encounter into a poll on things people like to see changes on LA/EA's for future event creation?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  10. krazykat

krazykat Active Member

Event noob here. Never done one before so I have a couple of noob type questions. Is there an event channel where announcement might be made? Or is there a system message to announce that the event is about to start?

11. Wauspaus

Wauspaus Active Member

Hey krazykat,

If you are signed up to an event a message will appear on your screen when it starts asking you if you wish to teleport to the event area. If you are talking about when events are made, those are usually announced by people in the chat channels of the planet. But you can always check out the event list to see what events are taking place on your current planet (and even other planets).
    You might want to check out this link http://arkadiaforum.com/threads/ingame-event-system.13597/
    Wzzls
    Waus

• Informative Informative x 1