1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quest for Fire Stick (Oro Hunting Data)

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Medeina, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Medeina

Medeina Member

I've recently finished seven months of hunting little else but high maturity oro, with the goal of looting a Herman CAP-10 Smuggler. Goal not achieved. Whether the gun no longer drops at all, drops on another mob, or the dice simply didn't role in my favour, I gave it a good try and focused on the only mob recorded on Entropedia to drop it.

The effort was a success in other, more meaningful, ways. I've gained a great deal of skills and kept detailed records of my hunts. My purpose for this thread is to post the data for public viewing.

The raw spreadsheet can be found here: Medeina's Oro Hunting Data (Google Docs).

Summary

Start Date.......26 April, 2013
    Finish Date.....03 December, 2013
    Location.........Southeast corner of desert region -- west of Relentless Firebase.

Primary Weapon
    .......Philosopher's Sword
    Finisher....................Falcata
    Armor.......................Vigilante + 2A Plates
    Primary FAP..............Gyro FAP-2 Smuggler
    Emergency FAP.........EMT Kit Ek-2600

Runs..............................231
    Decay............................64,251.42
    TT Returns.....................61,834.33 (96.24%)
    Markup..........................1,548.41 (based on items actually sold, minus auction fees when applicable)
    Returns with Markup.....63,382.74 (98.65%)
    Bottom Line..................-868.68

Chart for cumulitive TT returns.

View attachment 8526

For reasons of consistency, each hunt lasted strictly as long as my four Philosopher's Swords did. I never gave up a hunt if it started off poorly, or stopped after a relatively good find. That's why all my hunts each cost roughly 275-280 peds. The results averaged themselves out. Sometimes a poor start finished off reasonably well. Sometimes a good start ended up poorly. And sometimes hunts stayed the way they started.

Since VU 14.3 and the 332k ATH on a mulman, I started seeing bigger and more frequent losses on individual hunts. TT+ hunts became fewer and lower. Whereas before I could expect an 80-110% return, I now started getting 60-80% regularly. But 96% overall TT returns are still excellent.

With regards to swirlies, I hadn't found any big loots or particularly valuable low tt items. Most globals were of the fake variety, below 50 peds.

Total Globals.....302
    10 - 49 ped.......267
    50 - 99 ped.......32
    100 - 249 ped...2
    249 - 500 ped... 1 (273 peds)
    Avg = 31.62 ped / global

Proportions of decay costs

Weapons: 94.48%
    Armor: 5.41%
    FAP: 0.11%

The weapon choices were excellent, I felt. Stalkers and prowlers were easy to kill with a philo (typically no more than 10-12 swings). Just had to constantly pay attention when to switch for the falcata, to avoid overkill.

Vigi with 2A plates was a good balance between protection and decay. The only real threat were stalkers and their penchant for crits. Prowlers and old alphas could hurt as well, especially in groups, but weren't as troublesome. I briefly considered putting on 5B plates, but this would have mostly likely been overkill. I encountered a few hunters over the months using pixie (adjusted, I assume, and I've no idea about plates), and I often saw them die or need to constantly heal. I tried adj pixie without plates once, and it wasn't up to the task. Maybe with 5B plates?

The implementation of mutated oro young into the high maturity spawn in late June, and their subsequent removal in early November, had skewed the average defensive cost to be a bit lower than it otherwise would be. With an evader level of ~15.5, I was spending 6-7% of each hunt cost for defense. This eventually became 5-6% at close to level 22. With mutated youngs in the mix, however, the cost was usually 4.1 - 6.0%.

At any rate, the difference in defensive costs wasn't huge from start to finish, but 1-2% of a 280 ped hunt does add up in the end (2.8 - 5.6 ped savings per hunt).

Damage by armor piece

This is something I was very interested in finding out. Is damage spread evenly, or do oro damage certain pieces more than others? The results are as follow:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 400"]

Piece

Avg Decay

Proportion of Set

Shins

8.74%

19.38%

Helmet

8.11%

17.98%

Feet

6.79%

15.06%

Harness

5.79%

12.84%

Gloves

5.59%

12.51%

Arms

5.2%

11.52%

Thighs

4.87%

10.81%

Avg

6.44%

14.29%

[/TABLE]

So it would appear the blue buggers like to go for the shins to knock a person down, then chomp on the head.

------------------------------

In summary, don't get your hopes up if you think to loot a CAP-10 Smuggler of an oro. I had fun, gained loads of skills and hold no regrets. Just loads of pent up frustration and anger that I'm taking out on the oratan. ;)

Medeina

P.S. I'm *not* interested in buying the gun. Could have done that long, long ago. So leave me alone about it, any potential sellers.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Fantastic post! Beautifully put together, plenty of data and supporting comments. I always like to see this sort of thing. BIG +rep coming your way!

3. Chuck Jarrdhead Wholrey

Chuck Jarrdhead Wholrey Active Member

That's a great thread, tons of good data.
    I have a few Soc mates, that use pixie plus Pulsar 8 to kill just about every mob in the game... the bigger mobs with the assistance of a regen chip X or XI.... not the most eco maybe for the big guys... but its what they do...
    My experience with Vigilante armor left me thinking it was kinda expensive decay for the coverage. I would use shogun + 5b<at the time> and feel better at the repair terminal, but shogun was purple, and Vigilante was not. I still have my Vigilante set - the feet I never paid MU for.
    As for the CAP-10 smuggler, its a shame you did not get one, they are awesome weapons. I am a BIG fan of anything smuggler... They are just so much better that anything its level class.

Anyways, great thread, good luck on Arkadia 8)

4. Manny

Manny Member

A great post indeed :)

Hopefully the Oratan will pay you back with something juicy :dribble:

5. Gewitter

Gewitter Active Member

Excellent research! About your goal, I will say the following:
    Drop rate of this gun (CAP-10 Sm.) is now much lower than in 2012 (or 2011), now loot (and the size of globals) directly depends from the mob HP and get 590-PED gun (maybe not even full TT) become much more difficult. Much easier get a Herman ASI TEN i think...because there is lower TT of ASI and higher mobs HP (Kadra or Yuka)

6. Sniqs

Sniqs Active Member

Thanks for publishing this. I think you could have shaved off some armour costs with a different set, but great results nonetheless. Keep up the slashing!

7. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

Great data Medeina, thank you for sharing. I'm currently on Stage 5 (about 2k in) on Oro. Nasty little buggers!

8. Kosh

Kosh Member

Good results and excellent summary Master Medeina.

What are your plans now?

9. Medeina

Medeina Member

The same thing I do every night, Kosh: try to take over the world.

Thank you all for your feedback.