1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVP Introduction Event for Newer Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by rick_janson, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Some details still need to be worked out, but I'd like to do kind of a Fort Event on Calypso *since we don't have equivalent on Arkadia yet* -- Originally planned as a society even, but turns out our society is too few people on at once to make it effective.

Zume already asked, so we would be able to use the Gagarin for transporting everyone to Calypso. We'd need minimum 20 players to keep it fun.

For those that don't know, it would be kind of a nice introduction to the fun side of PVP. And the best part about it is that it can be set to use 10% decay, ammo, etc. This means that a noob with say 10 PED of ammo is playing with the equivalent of 100 PED of ammo.

It's sort of like Capture the Flag. But you have to go take over a control room. Really a lot of fun if it's done right.

For the moment, I'm just looking to see what kind of interest we'd have going in.

Time, travel, rules, etc still need to be worked out, but didn't want to get too far into it if there's no community interest. I think it'd be a ton of fun and have already had several people say they'd be interested and available.

This event is aimed at newer players, but it'd be great to have some "higher" players there as well -- some who are experienced with PVP and some who haven't had much opportunity (such as some of the now-mid level players that started on Arkadia).

EDIT: Also I should add that since Dave and the rest of the dev team are looking for ideas of what we might like to see as an "event area" on Arkadia, this could be a great way to get some ideas and maybe see some things that could be improved. Or maybe someone will have an idea of how to do something like this in a huge cave system... ;)

2. KillerDawg

KillerDawg Active Member Pro Users

Depending on date and time, I may be interested. I have not yet delved willingly in the PVP aspect of the game but will give it a shot. Who knows it may be fun.

3. zume

zume Active Member Pro Users

PVP'ing without the risk of getting looted can actually be fun.. I hate pvp myself normally, but one drunken and stoned night i ventured with my HL8 and A103 into the Ring in twin peaks and damn i had fun.. I actually did get a kill.. Can't remember who, but it was one of those "uber ring pvp'ers" that usually hang out at the Twin peaks ring.. Whats her name?? Amanda Ra i think it was.. She was using some sword.. That was freaking awesome.. I really hope i can participate in this fort event.. I can imagine its fun..

4. Szalu

Szalu Member

I would like to try it too if the time will be right.

5. Beanie Bugbear Adamski

Beanie Bugbear Adamski Member

We have had a few PvP events with the Knight of calypso. We would rent the area at zychion citadel and have a opallo pvp event no armor no healing, just full on mayhem, its heaps of fun :)

6. Evil Aeon

Evil Aeon Member

If date and time suitable,count on me.Also , pvp events in Zychion citadel very fun,I like it more then Fort events.

7. rick_janson

Location and type of event is negotiable. If there's more interest for Zychion, then I don't see why we couldn't... :)

8. Hideo

Hideo Active Member

agreed, there once was a great event where your deaths counted for the win :D
    the uber pkers bombed us "targets" up in the air. really funny and i could get some kills meself with my trusty opalo ;)

but as i can´t handle more than an opalo, fort events really suck, even (or especially)for newbs. there´s usually a lot of spawnkilling going on and it takes alot of time to actually destroy something in the fort.

better get into ring and beat the crap out of everyone who enters =)

regards

9. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

So this isn't one of those LA fort events where winners take control of an LA until pushed out is it? I've never participated in a fort event before so not sure what these are. I do see messages every so often where someone takes over an LA from a fort event. And if so who controls the LA? Whats the motive to doing a fort event, do you gain anything or just burn ped off decay and ammo usage? Not sure if new players need more things to burn thier ped on, they are already struggling to keep things going. Remember new player with no ped = new player stops playing cuz of nothing to do. If there is a fort event there should be some type of reward for participating besides just skills, expecially for new players with low peds on their cards already.

just my 2 cents on this type of event being targeted for new players. but fort event could be a lot of fun.

10. rick_janson

There's an event area by Tukar on Calypso... NOT a land area.. Event area. It's got two forts and each team gets their own fort. The object is to take over the control room. It's similar to the LA forts (same structures) but very different. Prizes would need to be decided on.

11. Evil Aeon

Evil Aeon Member

Fort Event in Tukar not a good idea for new players,because distance between forts is to big and new players don't have TP chips and cars,it will be too boring.

12. rick_janson

They're not that far away... Get a bunch of new players from both teams running out, and have to get through... It might take a few minutes for any excitement, but that's okay. I can run from one to the other in just a few minutes. Adds suspense, if you ask me... But it won't matter.. If there's not enough interest we can't do anything anyway...

13. rick_janson

Is there enough interest to justify organizing this event?

14. Mutant Atrax Stalker

Mutant Atrax Stalker Active Member

Hey Rick,

If my schedule allows i will participate, including risking at least one vehicle for assault usage.

Some other notes about fort battles for those who haven't been:

Fort events can be organized with ot without individual prizes, and individual prizes are not necesasrily given out to the top performers, they are given out to the top performers on the winning team.

Fort events can be of variying langth, i believe it comes in half hour increments. The fort LA is not that big you could run several times across it in one hour. By the end of two hours, it's my opinion that the whole thing has usually gotten boring for most participants.

If the event settings are set correctly, ALL wepons and other tools will use only 1/10 the usual amount of ammo, and decay only 1/10 the normal amount of decay. This makes it very affordable.

If armor is allowed, decay will also follow the 10% rule, however it's a common practice to disable armor protection during fort battles. This "evens the field" somewhat.

Vehicles are optional I believe and not always allowed, this also eliminated discrepancy in player resources. Old players run with the noobs. Mindforce can be disable as well, although i think it's a ton of fun in PVP.

Using the "accumulate decay" settings you can configure the fort to kep track of all decay during the event, and return it to the players. If you use this setting, when the event ends the money spent as decay will be divided evenloy among thw members of the "winning" team.

It has been possible to move everyone to the winning teamin the last moments of the battle, if this will cause hard feelings among friends.

The Battles over the Land Areas (Land Grabs) are fought in similar forts, and with a similar "mechanic" but there is no land or other "system" prize at stake here, just a little fun.

Fort is a great introduction to PVP, in a team environment, as opposed to the random and imbalanced encounters that occur in most PVP areas. Usually with someone who is far better equippd for the job ;)

15. New York Rose

New York Rose Active Member

That sounds awesome..Myself not very good at PvP..But love doing it..Great fun..I like trying..*subscribing to date and time!!*

16. Hideo

Hideo Active Member

another idea´d be to organize something similar to olegs boxing event on calypso. afaik there is a pvp ring in celeste, so why don´t make an event like this on ark. there are couple of boxing federations in RL why not in this universe.

but with the lack of arkadian powerfist it could be a bit tricky to get all participants equipped. ;)
    thus make it a machete mayhem :D there´s blades in TT and some BPs for higher dmg out there aswell.
    u don´t have to cruise thru hostile space and newer players can bash themselves while the older ones can slice their own kind to bits and pieces aswell.
    just an idea ;)

regards,
    hideo

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.