1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probes Per Run / Per Resource / Mining Question Time

Discussion in 'Mining' started by SallyBridges, Jan 27, 2014.

1. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

I have been playing around with Mining and know this is probably the deadliest way to loose peds but have been dropping with everything enabled ( Yes I am Really That Blond ) now the reasoning behind this is to skill up basically I want to skill all 3 of the Arkadia Mining Resources.

couple Of questions some more experienced miners might help with ?

I have noticed that 100 ped runs are more or less the minimum to get close to an acceptable loss return ratio.

Now when you have all 3 selected that's a VERY short run - so when I have found an item like ore / en matter then have double dropped around and found claims in the same area some are ample sizes ( I have only cycled about 300 peds in to this so far )

Questions I have Really Are

1) Is it best to skill 100 ped ore / then 100 ped enmatter / 100 ped treasure ?

2) Carry on having a random pot luck small run on everything and fill the loot pool up with ped for everyone ;)

3) Is double Dropping a good idea / Waste of ped - It Seams to work pretty well and often getting claims within 4 Meters of where the original one was ?

4) Is it worth bothering with ores / enmatter just stick with treasure and skill that ?

5) what minimum run on treasure ( ped / Probes ) is lickley to score results ?

6) If you get a Perception is it worth turning all 3 options on as a claim of another resource might be close bye or a claim might be deeper ( adding an amp ) than your current finder can hit ?

7) are there really bigger claims on Taxable Land areas ?

some of these might not get answered as I am aware a lot of people spend a lot to learn a lot and might want to keep that to themselves that's fair enough but any help much appreciated.

2. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

If your goal is skilling, best to drop all three at once unless you have unlimited time on your hands.

You will need to be prepared to cycle 10k ped before you can be confident of a 95% or higher TT return. So viewed from this perspective, longer runs are better. The other issue is that it can take quite a few drops in a run before you locate really well-producing areas and if you have only short runs, you won't get the opportunity.

My answer is sure to strong responses from some members here but I do not recommend dropping again on the same spot unless the claim is very close to you (within 5 or so meters). Even then, though, I feel a better strategy is to drop around your claim. The proponents of re-dropping always give as proof "I did this and got X number of claims within 55m". They never mention (or recorded) how many times they tried it and got NRFs.

Fields will vary from evenly distributed to highly clustered and in an area/on a day where it's highly clustered, you may have decent luck dropping again. You can easily do this test, it just takes some time... anytime you get a claim within say 15m, try dropping again. If you do this enough times and record your results EVERY time, you'll be able to see what the average hit rate is, if it's more or less than the ~29% average hit rate for arkadia. The key is to not ignore the NRF and record every single attempt. Probably 500 attempts will be enough to show you if the hit rate is similar to, better than, or less than dropping on fresh ground.

If you're looking for globals, keep your runs long. 3k drops without a global is not unusual in today's mining system.

Perception or other skill gains have never been shown to be linked to loot. You'll find that many miners firmly believe it. Some will even say that they use methods like this to consistently get awesome uber loot. Every time I've asked people using these theories to reproduce them for me or give actual statistics showing the method is better than random dropping, they can't.

If you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. As a new miner, you'll be getting perception gains very often. Old miners hardly ever get them (and by "hardly ever" I mean a like whole run without a single perception gain). But old miners don't get less globals. Also, claims have no depth or mineral identity until your finder finds them (they only have X,Y position), so the theory that there is a "deeper" claim nearby makes no sense.

No, in fact the other way around due to the 5% tax. Unless Mindark currently wants to drop a lot more of a certain mineral that's found on that land area, then you'll be more likely to get a big claim.

3. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Thank you have done 2 runs tonight just with treasure and got better results the main reason been easier to get the ifn challenge done when aakas ores pop up they were only 50 ped runs in 2 different areas but will look to do bigger runs as and when.

Mainly mining to get the ores for instance 1 and 2 keys to have some satisfaction of making them yourself don't worry will pop along to your shop and get the rest of my higher keys as and when I know I can use them efficiently.

Thanks is for the advice and help greatly appreciated