1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: what do you pay for an apartment or shop?

Discussion in 'Estates' started by Smoerble, May 31, 2011.

1. Smoerble

Smoerble Active Member Pro Users

We don't know where the first apartments and shops will be available. So please vote if you would buy one and at what price.
    I am aware that the location makes a difference in price, still it would be interesting what you think.

Assumption:
    We get a lot more good shops than on Calypso.

Reason for this assumption:

As you have seen already, the A-team listens to what you say. They (especially David) already stated, that they want to avoid resellers, though it's not decided how this could be done.

The easiest way to make it uninteresting for resellers, is to create a ton of apartments and shops. So take this as basic assumption please. The ground floor of every apartment building is a shop area. And the A-team can create more buildings if they need them

Please discuss:
    What city would you prefer? Anything else?

2. Sonya Heart

Sonya Heart Member

I would like an appartment at Sanctury Cove, Not really interested in spending more than 400 ped since it ends up just being a place to display some of my more nice looking items.

The current appartment design (now the walls are fixed) looks quite nice.

3. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

Celeste Harbour would be my first choice to buy an apartment or shop. Apartments with the best views may go for up to 1000Ped each. Shops, 3-5KPed each I think is sufficient.

Cheers
    Bjorn

4. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

*Moved to Estates*

5. Smoerble

Thats the problem with this forum... ppl check only general discussions... since it's moved, nobody votes and posts :(

6. Snape

Then it requires a little BUMP and people should use the Whats New tab to see new posts. You can't account for peoples laziness Smo

7. Chrome

Chrome Active Member Pro Users

Lazy bump!!!

<I found this using the "What's New" tab>

To answer the OP...

100 ped... why do apartments have to cost as much as they do on Calypso?

8. Migi

Migi Member

*found using What's new bump, and i voted 100~300, and yea i'm a cheapstake, shoot me :p

9. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

I don't care if apartments are cheap, but I would much prefer to have shops more expensive so it encourages buyers who have more on the line, so to speak, to keep their shops up to scratch, fully stocked, and appealing. Nothing worse than empty shops.

10. Smoerble

The higher the price is, the more likely it is, it is NOT used as a shop.
    Reasons:
    1) way too much work for little income. Makes no sense to buy a shop for 30k and place items at TT+2 in it. Easier to don't use it and resell after a few months.
    2) high investment = high risk but also high potential of profit. The higher price it is, the more of an interest for traders and the less interest for players.

Shops in malls cost 17k to 20k. There is a reason why they are mostly not used.

Thisa is why the best thing would be to have tons of them... and I mean really many. Then it's not of interest for a trader: they risk to loose value if more and more are spawned.

11. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

I think somewhere one of the Planet partners said that there was something about a ratio of participants on a planet vs number of estates that determines how many estates planet partners can make, but I'm not sure what thread it was in that I read that.

12. Dab

Dab Member

You should have split the last entry in the poll:

I don't want an apartment.

I don't want a shop.

This would make the results more accurate.

13. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

Hmm yes - there needs to be a balance though... if it's ridiculously high price with little gain, then why bother buying it at all? The shops will sit there as empty - no owner at all... but on the opposite end of the scale, a massively underpriced shop could potentially be vacant as well, waiting for the market value to go up... somewhere in the middle is fine, though I can't put an exact price on it... too many factors to take into consideration.

14. Bemo

Bemo Deactivated User

Bump for exposure to get more votes.

-Bemo-

15. swaith

swaith Member

personally while i have no concept of the difficulty of ingame money (cant acctually get ingame yet ode to no tp to arkadia) i feel the higher prices is justified because less is definately more, if they start to restrict or remove NPC shops once player shops start to take precedent then people will use the player shops more frequently - for instance perhaps having it so player shops get default npc shops that remove a local npc shop so eventually you HAVE to visit a player shop to purchase goods or face a collosal travel to get somewhere where they still remain.

add the option on the more expensive shops to add a premium to the NPC sales as well and you will have cartels springing up buying land everywhere.

same as if you invest in a rental system so people can buy an appartment and rent them out to other players making money back on an investment that allows newer players to own property in exactly the same way we as people own property =]

just my two completely ignorant pence on the matter

-----found via new post tab-----

----didnt feel i was worth a vote being i have no concept of its value------

16. Lezardine

Lezardine Active Member

voted and bump! :)

Cheap as I don't have a fat pedcard :eek:

17. Smoerble

@swaith:
    There are no NPC shops in game, all shops are owned by players.
    Problem is: the Arkadia devs (A-Team) cannot change anything on the logic of the estates. They can only specify where it is, how it looks and how many items you can place in the apartment or shop.

@vantastic:
    EU history shows: the higher the price, the more likely it is not used by the owner. Most shops on CND were abandoned, most mall shops are abandoned now too etc. Best example: banks: only one of five is running. Some LAs are not maintained properly too and they costs a shitload of money too. Hangars of a value of 100k+ were not used by the owners for years (before space was taken away). High price results always in "the majority of owners will not work with it".

Maybe I didn't explain correct, sorry for my bad english:
    There are two types of players who would buy a shop:
    1) to sell items in a reasonable time (high end items some months, low end items in days)
    2) to resell the estate at a later date at a higher price

You can avoid the buyer of #2 by make the shops a useless investement. Example: if EVERY player would get a shop for free, no reseller would try to buy all from the market (this is an example, I don't want every player to get a shop for free!). But if you have only 10 total for a year, then a reseller can easily buy all 10 at 20k each and still find someone who buys it at 25k.

This has happened and will happen again. So as soon as shops are opened, make clear, that this is only the first batch and bigger batches will be added asap. This makes the shops uninteresting for resellers after the second batch arrived (the first batch WILL be bought by them anyway).

Hope, I could explain my point...

• Like Like x 1
  18. swaith

swaith Member

@Smoerble

thanks for clearing that up, its a very similar economy to eve the with player run shops :D (very nice) and thanks for the heads up i was truthfull about my ignorance :D very kindly corrected by yourself lol il leave the post there for posterity

19. Snape

i believe that being able to buy shops and rent them out would solve a few of these problems, that way, both groups, investors and users, are satisfied.

20. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

I would only spend up to 300 ped on an apt TOPS....Which as you would assume correctly, is why i don't have one.
    :(

...Strange that I packrat "display" type items all the time, ain't it? :D

Tippin'