1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Arkadia dont' make the same mistake.

Discussion in 'Estates' started by James Clayton, May 26, 2011.

1. James Clayton

James Clayton Member

I am writing this in hopes of avoiding the mistakes of the past. Hoping that posting it now will have an effect on how appartements and shops are sold when they become available in about 2 weeks.

I realy do hope that the management of this world will not let the land speculators take over like on Calipso, RT and NI.

Owining a appartementis one of the basics of economics. Once a person has a place they tend to buy furniture and put effort in turning it into their home, creating a virtual life for themselves.

This is one of the fundamental economic principles at work in EU.

A hunter or miner or crafter buys a home.

That person needs furniture to decorate it.

Thats takes crafters to make the furniture.

The crafters need materials to make the furniture

That takes hunters and miners to aquire the materials that the crafters need.

And around and around it goes!

Econimics 101, "you have to move money to make money"

Speculators are absolutely usless to this process. A person that buys 10 appartements in the hopes of 'roling them over' in a month or a year serves no function to the economy. If your lucky they might furnish one of the ten places which leaves nine empty apartements with no furniture.

Some may say that thats the way the free market system works, not true!

All major world economies have anti-conplomerate and/or anti-monopoly laws.

No sociaty is totaly free, there must be rules of conduct, you need red lights and stop signs.

Everyone deserves a chance to have an apartement or shop or sales kios at a resonable and affordable price.

I truly hope and pray that limits be put on onership on Arkadia.

There is no reason that an individual needs more than one apartement, one shop and one sales kios.

Land speculation limits availability, artificialy manipulates prices higher and advantages the rich while being a detrimental to the whole economy and the average player. In some other games (RoM) they give every player an apartement to spur the economy.

Just one mans opinion.

2. Bemo

Bemo Deactivated User

Would be nice if there was a way to keep it from happening but don't know if it will ever happen. I agree with ya though.

-Bemo-

3. Gatman

Gatman Member

thought i was reading a whine till i clicked, your absolutly right , the last thing i wana see is someone playing real estate agent in that fasion! unfortunatly I dont think theres a whole lot ya can do about it?

4. Sam Panda

Sam Panda New Member

I absolutely agree. Empty houses and apartments make the world seem empty and sad.

5. Chrome

Chrome Active Member Pro Users

I would like to purchase one apartment...

Yes, one. :)

6. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

I want one too and I know someone who probably want an apartment and a shop too, but the price will probably be too high again :/

but what can you really do, I dont want a 1/each limitation as I might want more in the future. One thing about Entropia I like is the freedom really but this with estates is a problem tho :/

7. Telgard

Telgard Member

What about buying a whole floor of apartments knocking down some walls and turning off the televator to your floor?

8. XeroX

XeroX Active Member Pro Users

yeh as I suggested before... only make some deeds available in auction. Sell the rest of them in private trades at a reasonably low price BUT only ONE housing and ONE business deed per avatar. Also make some lowish minimum requirenments in atributes to avoid multiple avatars from one "investor". Maybe a bit higher requirenments for business deeds since their price will be quite high and you would expect that someone played the game for some days before putting that kind of money in. PLEASE donĀ“t dump everything into auction over time like others do and let one person or group grab it all...
    I think that a selected few have a genuine interest in owning more than one shop on arkadia to sell different kind of items... but they still get their very fair chance to do so with the part that is released to the auction from devs or by players.

9. malasuerte

malasuerte Active Member

Make at least half of the apartments/houses/shops/stands available only for rent and at a low price. It will secure a constant income for arkadia and prevent speculators from artificially inflating the prices. If you forget to pay your rent all your items are sent backo to storage and the property is back in the market.

10. MindStar9

MindStar9 Deactivated User

Same for me please, because I intend turning it into my media location, and decorating it accordingly.

I may also eventually like to purchase a shop (depending on what they look like and where they're located), because I have a feeling that I may be doing a bit more acitvity on Arkadia besides just media work. :)

Since it seems that there's potential for an increase in population due to Arkadia's marketing efforts, it would be nice if more people had an opportunity to have their own place to call home at a reasonable price, rather than having to deal with the usual investors who hoard apartments and shops, and often just let them sit ... same as the hangars.

I would really like to see the Arkadian environment grow and prosper as a result of the citizens developing it in a way that is more amenable to them, as well as more cohesive in collective efforts, rather than disruptive in a sense, or frustrating due to limited opportunities. Granted, planets aren't all peaches and cream, but I'm sure we will have enough to deal with, not only with the mobs during our exploring adventures, but also any threats to the planet from outside sources ... we don't need them from our own kind with the potential to diminish efforts.

And that's my two purple cents worth. :)

11. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

MA would have to put something in so that you can't own more then 2-3 appartments only MA can fix this.

you could hold events so that people win them. This will put it in the hands of a bunch of different people. The problem with that is that Arkadia Studios get nothing in return for the appartments as they would in selling them.

Or David can come out and say they've talked to MA and if there is a demand for appartments and they are all overprised and owned by mostly one person they will just keep making new buildings until there market value goes down.

12. Dab

Dab Member

The best way to do this within the current game mechanics would be to have a live auction and only allow a person to buy one apartment.

Also, supplement this with periodic events with an apartment as first prize.

Set a start bid and buyout. Sell the first batch then when number of players on Arkadia goes up, do it again.

James Clayton has a HUGE point about part of the crafting economy being screwed up by all the empty apartments on Calypso.

This could be done right now with Official avatars as the auctioneers.

Edit: Also no way to stop people owning more than 1 shop or apartment; but they will have to purchase it from another player with the above method.

13. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Active Member Pro Users

I don't think there are less available apartments than there are buyers. On Calypso and on Arkadia.
    Don't think this is a problem.

14. Chiba

Chiba Member

If I am ever getting a apartment in Entropia, one on Arkadia would probably be my first and only. :)

15. Smoerble

Smoerble Active Member Pro Users

That's what I was thinking about too.

16. Treedoctor

Treedoctor New Member

Yes this is a huge point. But yesterday I was at the TP, in the north of the continent and I found that the buildings are kinda bugged :D
    I don't blame anyone here ^^ but I just say that for now the apartments aren't finished.

Also, its will be cool if Arcadia can do something about Art in game. I mean artistic participant contents.
    Im sure it can work if arcadia monitor it wisely.

17. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

Well, in another thread, it was mentioned that there won't be any rent fee on Arkadia. I think that's a nice and smart move.

Having a 'buyback' program or something similar would be a good idea. Buy the place back at the same price that was paid for it... then just resell it for the flat rate or like flat rate +1 or something and keep doing that? Something else you might possibly think about -- a trade in program of some sort for those that already own places on Calypso. ;) :) If you can get folks that already own places back on Caly estates on Arkadia with the exact same functionality and number of item points, I suspect myself and a lot of other estate owners might be interested in trading in the places we have for places on your planet. Til something like that is possible I'm going to probably stay on Calypso for now since I have several apartments, a booth and shop to tend to.

18. James Clayton

James Clayton Member

When it comes to controling the number of units/estates a persone has, yes, it would have to be done by MA because it would have to be coded. But it's up to Arkadia, as a MA customer, to push MA to do it.

When it comes to the coding, it's definitly not hard, right now we have 2 colors of mining deeds, green and blue if I remember well. Simply color code the estate deeds, for apartements, shops, kios and land areas and then use an IF statement to limit them. ie IF (#red) >1 THEN (you may only poses one apartement deed). I have not writen programs in a longtime so i'm not up to date on the exact format use in CE2, but this is not rocket science programing, I can get excel to do this type of check for a spread sheet, I can't believe it would be so hard for MA to do, if they wanted to.

19. Pauhe Gunor

Pauhe Gunor Member

can i be your neighbour hehe

20. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Sadly without speculators and what they depo to work with MA Castle would not have become a reality for JWT and friends. I hear they have their eye on a retirement island in a country with no extradition laws so I highly doubt MA will limit purchaces of anything in game. The best you will get from them is Apartment (L).