1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG - I feel like a Noob

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by moondog, Feb 11, 2014.

1. moondog

moondog Member

OK well I have been playing EU for a couple of years and have reached level 40 but I have only recently started to properly play on Arkadia. Sure I have been here before, new player mission when it came out - soc hunts - Orartan Invasion - Viceroy Armour.
    I never stayed more than a couple of days and my visit was usually part of an extended trip around the Universe taking in the other planets.
    So after 2 years of mainly hunting on Caly, I realised that a lot of players I know outside my soc dont reside on Caly. So a couple of weeks ago I left Caly and spent a week on Cyrene. I really enjoyed it, had some good loot and got stuck into the daily missions. There are a few things I don't like however, its always dark and or foggy, the terrain is very mountainous, making ranged hunting difficult, the economy is in it's infancy and you can play for hours without seeing any other players

So after a week I packed my flight bag and headed off to ARK. Now my favourite Entropia Mob resides on ARK so the first thing I always do is go and hunt a few Scoria. Why is it my favourite ? Well when I was just a week old my soc took me on my first flight to other planets and Scoria was the first mob I ever team hunted, wearing my borrowed vigi armour and using a non maxed opalo. I died (continuously) but really enjoyed it and promised myself that one day I would be able to solo them. Well that took me about a year and now I can hunt them comfortably - although they never seem to pay out compared to the ammo you need to spend even on the youngs.

Next on the list is always teledon and they have a special memory for me as well. When I could first solo them - (just before the scoria) I had my first and only back to back global (one after another) at teladon camp.

Various other trips have seen me get into the otorugi - riptor - ostelok among others and my grinding mob tiriak.
    So anyway back to the reason for this post. I have a few good friends here including my fellow DJ from AHR Izzy and my mad Swedish military friend Eli
    Whenever Izzy was DJing he would PM me saying "come to the party @ Celeste Quarry", but I never could (wrong planet) or I would PM Eli to ask if he wanted to go and hunt but he was always hunting Oratan on ARK

So after coming here and spending a week (really enjoyed myself) - I thought damn getting low on guns so I should go back to Caly, so I jumped in my quad and made my way back "Home". I bought and sold a few guns on Caly then realsied that I could have not bothered coming back as I had looted Pirons at my level which were perfectly adequate for my hunting needs. I spent another 24 hours on Caly hunting my usual mob in my usual places with loot being rubbish to moderate.

All of a sudden it struck me WTF am I doing back on Caly. I trade quite a bit but love hunting so I was trying to convince myself that I needed to be on Caly for the larger market.

Anyway whilst trying to offload some stuff at twin peaks and struggling with what i wanted to do - an avatar posts in general chat "Quad Taxi to ARK - only 3 ped". Now I'm thinking shit landing fee is 2 ped oil is over 1.5 ped - plus the chance of loosing some value on the quad if i get pirated. So i PM the guy saying when are you going and he says whenever you are ready. So I chucked my stackables into storage, made sure i had my quad, oil, spare thrusters, etc on me, give the guy 3 ped and off we go . Forty minutes later we land on ARK and a few minutes after that Eli PM's me to say "When are you coming back to ARK". "Beat you to it mate, I am already back - couldn't stay away." " great he says, wanna try some Oratan ?". So he makes a team with a great couple of players, one of whom acts as our healer. We go out and have a complete blast, doing Oratan up to fiend, Mature Scoria, the only thing we couldn.t handle was the level 80 Korwil (which are very nasty). So 3 globals later (one is quite high) and we have had a great evening of team hunting. I went through 1 and half amps but my Armour and fap decay was negligible and i ended up in profit for the evening.

Eventually I got tired and had to leave the others to it. I went to the Auction and put my items on in my usual way which is 100% Opening bid and 1ped under current markup as Buy Out. So I go to bed and 6 hours later I get up and check the auction and wow all three items have sold.

What have I learnt, ARK may have less players and a smaller economy but it is vibrant and flourishing there. There is a much better player attitude and the player to player trading is great. People are always buying and selling, they tend to compete less as individual players concentrate on their own area of expertise, even sending ppl off to other players if they dont buy the items themselves.

I love the mobs, the terrain, the textures, the fact that most items have a use with some things having great Mark Up, but most of all I love the players. I have to say high here to Milarep who I traded with a couple of weeks ago and always says high every time I TP into Quarry.

I always wondered why all my friends spent their time here and now I know. I am not saying I will move in permanantly but I will definately be spending a lot more time on this jewel of a planet, looks like I have caught the ARK bug. If you see me in game say hello and check out my show on AHR every Sunday from 18.00 MA time. You can even come and have a dance at Quarry

PS If I never see another Argo again it will be too soon

• Like Like x 1
  2. moondog

moondog Member

It this working ?

3. Medeina

Medeina Member

Glad to hear you're very much enjoying Arkadia, Moondog, and welcome! There's many a good reason so many of us call it home, and perhaps one day you will as well. In the two years I've been here, it really feels like Arkadia has settled into its own, and it feels more special now then it did after my "birth" here.

4. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Glad you're enjoying your prolonged stay, and congrats on the epiphany! :)

The planet is great, but the community makes it alive. Hope you consider staying longer than normal!

5. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

Ark is awsome :p Dev team great most ppl awsome to which makes every other issue with the game feel smaller :).

I just hope we can keep the community feel as we keep on growing :p

6. Lighterthief

Lighterthief Member

*passes a cuppa*
    welcome moondog, pull up a chair and make urself at home :)

7. Ember

Ember Member

Welcome! I'm a traveler between ark and Caly myself, but I'm staying here for quite a while

8. Bullo71

Bullo71 Member

Welcom! Never been to any other planet yet, but Ark have taken care of me so far... it is a good place to be :)

9. Ardorj

Ardorj Active Member Pro Users

Welcome Moondog, make your stay here comfortable!
    Like you I also started on Calypso, that's many years ago now. One day I read a bit about Arkadia, being a good planet with a nice atmosphere so I prepared to leave and took my first flight into Space to another planet. Since I call Arkadia home and I've done a few trips back.

10. Fishface

Fishface Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Welcome to Arkadia. Being noob just never ends.

[video=youtube;0hG1ZpkQoLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hG1ZpkQoLg[/video]

11. ElbryanWolf

ElbryanWolf Member

Welcome to Ark!

Even after being in game for more than 10 years, I still consider myself a noob since I probably don't play as many hours as some of the hardcore hunters/miners/crafters in game and I still need to read up or polish my ways to hunt/mine/craft to make myself a bit more eco/skill gain. Also, I still haven't visited all the planets yet so it's always an ethernal re-start with each one I visit :)

I can relate ;)

Cheers!