1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player 'issues'.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Lizzy Storm, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Lizzy Storm

Lizzy Storm Active Member

Recently I have noticed an influx of new players on Planet Arkadia. That is very positive, we could use some fresh meat in the kitchen.

But here I see an issue that I might not share with many people; It is also becoming very problematic.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I see a lot of new players (at the least, names that are new to me in arkadia/arktrade chats). These new people love to give advice to newer people, but I find it that I often want or have to correct them. Then there is the issue of people trying to resell things at prices you want to slap them silly for, as it will either crash the market or be almost like 'scamming' and unknowing player. Last there was a player in arkadia chat yesterday who did a full on rant about this game because he just didn't understand it. All that and the unwillingness to receive advice, or unwillingness to adapt.

Where are the mentors? Where did the Arkadia Advisers go?

Do players that can mentor need to spam their 'service' more or do we need to get more A-Advisors to help out the new players?

Please, discuss.

• Welcome! Welcome! x 1
  2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drown. I've seen at least one player who over the course of the last few weeks has failed to learn despite apparently having a mentor, despite getting lots of sensible answers to questions. Some people can't be helped and all we can do is thank them and take their money.

On the other hand I have seen quite a few players cop a heap of abuse when they fail to take advice. They think they know better and well that''s a decision for them. Some people need to make their own mistakes. I don't see the value in a bunch of more experienced players piling on the ridicule. It just makes the planet chat unpleasant and drives people away. And of course some of the 'ex[erienced' players aren't as knowledgeable as they think.

3. Lizzy Storm

I agree, and even I won't know about certain subjects when asked.

And this is not an attack on all the new players, I have seen some do quite well, it's just a handful of players that make me want to leave the Arkadia chats out of unwillingness to adapt from common type of video games to an RCE one.

4. Heidi Stassinopolis

Heidi Stassinopolis Active Member

I saw the chat about the DNA cartridge being offered at a silly price on arktrade the other day, is this one of the examples you mean? It did seem as though the person selling wouldn't listen but then that turned it into a slanging match, which helps nobody really.

looking at the "local" chats recently I've noticed when there are some new people asking questions they are generally getting good responses from people, currently I'm on caly and I see this here too. However I have seen "experienced" players disagree on advice to "noobs" turn into full on flaming. But then that's the nature of some people on any chat.

5. Lizzy Storm

The DNA thing from trade is one example, but it indeed became into a slanging match, mainly because said person would refuse to lsiten to over half a dozen people saying it was worth no more than the TT would offer.

And yes, it's nice to see people help each other in Arkadia chat, but often I see wrong information being given out, or only half truths, and it bothers me.

On top of that, I think if more players would be on the forums, a lot of questions would be met with appropriate answers.

I think there are some serious players that would love this game here right now, but they might be held back or even scared off by misinformation and bs from other (new and old) players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. illyith

illyith Member

Lizzy for Arkadian President!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lizzy Storm

Anything better than Trump, Hillary or ND I guess :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mr Super Muis

Mr Super Muis Active Member

i got 10 minions... they only lasted for 2 weeks then the never return... seems they cant handle the grinding of the game... and i do teach them the basics of the game.

9. krazykat

krazykat Active Member

Does it really matter is someone is trying to sell DNA for a price way over what its worth? The only people who will buy DNA are the LA owners and none of them are likely to pay over the odds. If they want to waste there time trying to sell it, let them get on with it, they will eventually give up and tt it.

I've come across a few new players who have previously been playing role playing games and could not get the idea that EU does not have a rigid role playing structure. I think that this is possibly the reason why some people do not last long in EU - there are few guidelines to follow, no clear path to follow like they have been used to in other games and they can't or won't adapt.

I had never played a multi - player game before when I found EU so I had no preconceptions or set ideas to get in the way so that was both an advantage and a handicap :) On the one hand I was open to learn but on the other hand I had no clue as to what i was doing most of the time :) I found, (or to be more accurate, was found) by a very good mentor, joined a good soc and got much help from many soc members both in advice and in gifts of things that I needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Murkalael

Murkalael Active Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Louise Ranavolana Brooks Active Member

Don't mock the next president of the U s of A :)

12. wournos

wournos Active Member

If people want to sell their stuff at ridiculous prices, let them try. There has been a stone buyer in chat offering only "10/k". They will probably never get stones at that price - assuming they mean 10 ped per 1000 stones. That person has been ridiculed to no end. What "bothers" me is not their price offer but the onslaught of shitty comments from certain individuals - in Arktrade no less.

As for wrongful information, I'm slightly guilty of this, though it has only happened twice recently. My excuse is bad memory. :smuggrin:

Those who want to learn do so. The others will leave and we won't have to deal with them ever again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lizzy Storm

TBF, I am one of those people that easily goes into troll mode. But if half a dozen people tell you the same thing and you still don't want to listen, then that is what one gets from me.

And we probably have all given out faulty information at least once in out EU careers, it's just that this information now seems to be passed down from mentor, to noob, to random players in arkadia chat.

14. Heidi Stassinopolis

Heidi Stassinopolis Active Member

that's how wikipedia started lol