1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My posts not visible to me

Discussion in 'Forum Support' started by Aura Lily, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Aura Lily

Aura Lily Member

Odd thing this. When I respond to a thread or start a thread I can't see it when I press the "Whats New?" button until someone else posts after me. Maybe I miss applied a setting someplace. Any help would be appreciated.

~Lily

2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

You wont see a post you just made in the new posts/whats new filter because you have already seen it. This has confused a few of us from time to time.

3. Aura Lily

Aura Lily Member

Seems odd though .. now this post will disappear for me :)

That would be like everytime I read a post it disappeared. That doesn't happen, just the posts I do

4. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Nope it is for all the post, new posts section only shows you the threads that have posts in them that you haven't read already. Confused me in the beginning too :)

5. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

You can use the "Spy" button to check all recent posts, including your own.

6. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

Ahhhhhhh... the invisible posting :)

Our system is set up to assume you have read what you posted, so it isn't "new" to you. As KJ said, it's not the first time it's tripped someone up.

I suppose the thing is that most forums do it the other way, so this is a surprise. But I prefer it like this, myself. Saves me accidentally opening up a thread I'm already up to date on.

7. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

It might also have something to do with post counting. If we cant keep opening it ourselves we cant jack up a view count to make it look popular. Not sure if the reward system honors views of a thread or actual posts within the thread.

8. Aura Lily

Aura Lily Member

I had to go to my profile to find this thread to post this additional thought:

I thought about what you have posted here Tim and assume the way the forum is setup is a reflection of your opinion of usability. I have to disagree with your assumption that everyone will accept this because this is the way it is or the way you prefer it. Please offer the ability to see previously read forum treads an option. Maybe the title of the thread you have already opened is not in bold characters.

Not slamming on you or the forum I would just like to have the option to see what I have already read and perhaps change my mind about what I have posted without going to my profile to search for threads I have already looked at or responded to.

Thanks
    ~Lily

9. Neil

Aura, you can find a list of threads modified in the last 24 hours http://arkadiaforum.com/search.php?do=getdaily. The threads you have read will be in plain type, the unread ones in bold. You can bookmark that link.

You can also get more options in advanced search.

10. Aura Lily

Aura Lily Member

Thanks Neil great work around ++Rep

11. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

Actually, I had nothing to do with the decision. I found it unusual at first as you did, but have grown to prefer it.
    We have discussed the issue previously when other people got tripped up by it, but I will raise the question with vantastic, and see if it's a possibility. I like your idea.

12. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

13. Ace Flyster

Ace Flyster Member

Hehe, this bugs the hell out of me. Sooo many times i go to read something again, cannot find it, get bored and go back to the other forum.

Subscribing to threads is never going to happen....far too much effort. And loading up the spy everytime i want to go back to a thread (this is a lot) gets tiresome

But thats just me

Rgds

Ace

14. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Since it is the decision of the forum administrators to go with these settings, could you atleast compromise and give us a "Todays Posts" button in the main menu bar? I think that would go along way towards making those of us who prefer to have everything visible and transparent happy and using the forum while still going with your own preferred settings.

narfi

15. Neil

For the record, I like the current settings. But I like Narfi's suggestion to have a button somewhere that shows the last 24 hours' threads.

16. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll see what I can do regarding a link to posts made in the last 24 hours.