1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mob Hit Box Fix

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Jod, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was supposed to go in the Creatures,Hunting or Technical section so I decided on hunting.
    Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot Snape.

Anyway...to recreate a thread that Oleg posted on Caly forum I think we need to do the same here....

Which Arkadian Mobs do you feel need their hit box tweaked and if possible can you rate how bad it is from 1 to 5.
    5 being the worst and almost un-huntable to 1 being just a regular pain the butt.

I'll kick it off with a couple but as I dont hunt everything I'll need your help.

Dromia--5 (man these are painful to hunt,only seem to targetable from the front or the very top of the head)
    Yarrijak--5 ( wish I could give it a double 5 due to the annoying jumping animation)
    Kadra--2
    Prospectors--1
    Mutated Nusul--1 (they just barely make the list and only due to their running animation)

Add any more you Arkadians can think of it and I'll add it to the list.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

Dromia - use small grenade launcher to collect them, then use big one to kill them all, no problem with hit boxes in this way - i mean is only way i found comfortable to do entire mission chain on them.

Yarrijak - is not hit box problem but its movement / jumping, just have patience to wait, observe and learn right moment to shoot

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Yup your right on both of them.

With Yarrijak I have to turn auto aim on unless they are standing still and yeah Dromia are just too painful to hunt any other way.

The problem I have is nerve damage in my right arm so every now and then my mouse gets a little shaky(and I'm not that good to begin with)\

They can't all have the hit box of Kamaldon but a little improvement would be nice.

4. San

San Well-Known Member

Ostelok is the worst of all Ark mobs re. hitbox. And it is a little sluggish to aggro, so even when using melee only it's annoying.

With Dromia I find not much issue, usually get them tagged with pistol, max. have to jump/strafe once. But mostly I use Bukin's Blade on them and find it about ideal.

Oro is slightly worse again. But both aggro easily and will turn promptly to melee attack. The Oro's aggro range is long enough to circumvent the problem with pistol, also. But all these are workarounds and choice of course is restricted until this is fixed.

Feran I often find a pain to tag with auto-move, never had the same with Hiryuu on Caly. And also Bokol where I really don't understand it because it actually looks like a relatively compact shape.

What's the matter with Kadra? Never found a problem there, except getting swarmed and almost always having one spawn right on my back :)

Edit for requested rating:
    Ostelok - 5; Feran, Bokol, Oro, Gallard - 3; all for hitbox issue w/ auto-move
    Jori - 4 for "RipperSnapper problem", i.e. those spawning on the floor have their hitbox mostly under the ground and can't be reached except from directly on top
    Teladon - 1 for too big damage difference between maturities, i.e. the need to overprotect against young to be able to tackle old
    Oratan Lancer - 5 as discussed in a separate thread

Edit 2: Removed Dromia from the list. Cannot reproduce the problems reported, there were minor blockers previously but seems gone now. Just finished the 1k kills stage using both ranged and melee weapons, always employing auto target/auto move/auto hit. Went smooth all the way.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  5. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

Kadra aren't that bad that's why I only gave them a one.

Its more to do with with when they come at you side ways and there attack animation moves the hitbox from the centre of the mob.
    Of course the work around is to move around the mob,not a major issue.

The biggest issue I have is at full range when trying to tag them,once tagged they are fine.
    The hit box is quite thin at the top,especially at full 70m range.(when shooting over hills it comes into play) and they move pretty quickly when just wandering around.
    Aiming around their hips makes it ok.

It's the same with the prospectors when they start wandering around,we can't have all mobs hit boxes the size of a house so I'm willing to accept the little things like I mentioned.

6. Murkalael

Murkalael Active Member

On ark the ones wich I categorize on chiken bug because most of them are chicken like with few exceptions.
    -gallard
    -ostelok
    -jori
    -bokol

specially because I don't like FPS style, and use next button a lot.

7. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

how would you guys rate them from 1-5 so I can put the worst ones top of the list.

and maybe an explanation as to why they need changing for example;
    Hit box too small
    Animation moving hit box too much
    etc etc

8. Murkalael

Murkalael Active Member

I don't know how to rate, only to hate mob interaction behavion, all those I mentioned above, are either face it or take it from back, due their oval shape if any of them are sided when you try to shoot you get the interaction failed error. I think instead of hitbox, try something old like sprite collision?

9. San

San Well-Known Member

From a software developer's point of view, I don't understand at all why this issue exists. The shape of the box shouldn't matter, auto-aim and auto-move are supposed to head for the center and be agnostic about everything else. As soon as the distance matches the firing range and no other obstacle stands in the way, the shot should be released. I have no idea what they've done that possibly could create a race condition or anything else causing the blockage.

Whatever causes the problem should be fixed at the point where those mechanics are calculated instead of requiring endless tweaking of designs. It means their algorithms are not very robust.