1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for votes

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by GeorgeSkywalker, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

If you vote for my entry "George Ace Skywalker - CN 20, level 7" in this competition:
    http://arkadiaforum.com/showthread....oll-(Arkadia-Interior-Screenshot-Competition)

I will pay 1k peds to all those who vote for me and I win. i.e. I have allocated 1k peds so if I was to win with 33 votes that would be 1k/33 = 30.30 peds per person who voted for me.

Q: Why am I doing this?
    Answer: To show what a mockery these type of events really are and hopefully if I win to run this event again under my selection system so that we can then hopefully see who the real winner is.

Q: What will happen when event is over?
    Answer: Once the event is over. The people who voted for me can claim their peds from me. Also I will then make a new selection based on this system:
    http://arkadiaforum.com/showthread.php?4260-A-fairer-competition-selection-system

Hopefully we will then have a true winner and I will then hand the prize over to whoever that is.

Important Edit:
    1) Due to feedback I will no longer be paying peds for anyone who votes for me unless situation mentioned in point 2 below arises
    2) If Arkadia dev are ok for payments to be made for votes then yes I will pay as initially intended
    3) Many people I don't think understand the whole purpose of this. As such to make it clearer if I win my entry will be removed from the second selection system. My entry would be replaced by another entry which was not selected.

Note to moderator could you please change thread title to "Looking for votes".

• Like Like x 1
  2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

This is just wrong. Trying to destroy an event to make a point. IMO you should be disqualified from the event.

3. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

How does it destroy an event? On the contrary it will hopefully yield a real winner.

4. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

lool

I don't have an industrial pedcard but I will offer 1 pec to whoever votes for mine!
    :D

Seriously tho, Ace. That's uncool, even if I fairly agree with ya.

Tippin'

• Like Like x 1
  5. cute781217

cute781217 Active Member Pro Users

This is.....

I would agree with you voting like this would never be fair to people who with no fame or big pocket, I won't mind if you do this under the table just don't let me know I participate a event and lost because I don't have enough money in pocket.

I personally would consider this a provoke( is this a right word?) to Arkadia official, because you are trying to control a event with your money publicly. I agree with Kikki you should be disqualified due to the public provoke( or cheating? not sure which word to use) to the official. If you end up getting alot more votes than it is now and A-team do nothing after that, I personally would consider never participate events like this.

6. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Unfortunately I can't read your mind so would appreciate it if you said what's on your mind. Thanks.

I realise it's going to make me fairly unpopular but I'm not doing it for popularity. Hopefully the future of such events will be better.

It sometimes takes a struggle but it's something worth aimimg for. A better future. A better future does not come by doing nothing.

7. KikkiJikki

When you organise an event and obtain some prizes for it go ahead and set up any rules you think are reasonable. If you don't like the way this competition is organised then dont enter. Right now u are just sabotaging someone elses competition. Attempting to buy votes is blatantly cheating.

8. AngieHickey

AngieHickey New Member

I voted. Not a fair system end of story.

9. cute781217

Something I want to add this is a event you join for fun, enjoy the process of collecting your furniture and putting them in ideal locations. Then go ask people if they love your decoration, if they do then vote to you. If you want to destroy this event you can just start making fake account and vote to yourself, you don't even need to waste your money. It is just unacceptable move anyway.

10. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

So let me get this right. Someone soliciting votes behind the scenes is fine with you but if they solicit votes openly it's not? We know with these type of forum votes what goes on. Another post on another thread sums it up:

11. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

well the way i voted was i looked at the pictures first then the names and i even explained why i didn't vote.
    I kind of agree with you on the voting system not being the right way and i've always said having some judges would be better and not seeing names would be good way to do it too.

But i can't see how this wouldn't disqualify you from the running (not that i think it matters your gonna loose it looks anways) And looking at the votes it doesn't look like a popularity contest.

also what was said before you knew the rules you knew how it was going to work if you didn't like it then dont enter. all these social contest work this way really it's nothing new. I've actually not participated in stuff in the past for this reason.

12. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Your missing the whole point. A competition is also supposed to be fair. Imagine how much better competitions would be if they were indeed fair.

I don't consider it a waste of money but an investment into changing the system to a fairer one. Would you not want a fair competition?

13. Loren

Loren Member

Good point Skywalker - I received a PM on the other forum asking me to vote for there apartment on here they even sent the link its BULL SHIT!

14. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Your also missing the point it's not about me winning but about changing the system such that a person like you who does not enter such competitions can.

15. KikkiJikki

In fact there is nothing wrong with soliciting votes. You will see it in any event where voting determines an outcome, from a govt election, to host of olympics, to class president.

Paying for votes is wrong and I think you know that. It doesn't matter whether the payment is the form of cash, peds, favours or nookie. It's still cheating.

You may argue that these things shouldn't be popularity competitions and if that is your arguement, I totally respect your right to that view and recommend you don't enter any competitions that have that characteristic. Not only that, but I think it's super that you have an idea for an alternative system. Please go right ahead and organise an event which uses your system to determine the outcome. I look forward to seeing how it goes and I wish you well in your endeavours.

But screwing with someone elses event to serve your own agenda is also wrong in my view. You shouldn't have done that. And to salvage the event (and because you are attempting to cheat), the organisors should remove your entry from contention.

16. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Hey people, you do know that you don't have to vote on a certain contestant just because they ask you or bribe you, right? You do have the power to exert your own will, right?

In my country we have governmental elections. I suspect it's the same in many of yours. Often, the most popular candidate wins. However, it's the community's responsibility to vote on the candidate they feel is the best one... so if the "wrong" candidate wins, then it's 100% the fault of the voters. Soliciting votes isn't wrong, though it can increase the number of voters that are voting on popularity instead of the issues. Offering rewards for your votes, on the other hand, is unethical and those who do such things will get a reputation for doing unethical things to get what they want.

I don't see any problem with the event. I ignored any who were soliciting votes, viewed the pictures, and voted on the ones I thought looked the best. It's not rocket science. Next time, though it's probably a good idea to have some explicit rules on what contestants are allowed do to collect votes.

17. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Even though I do agree with you about the system used and it being able to be swayed as you said, what you just did goes against the ethics of the event and I do think your entry should be disqualified. Even if you do get a ton of votes you should still not win the contest because of this post, and actually if broadcast in game also or anywhere really of things like this should be immediate disqualifiers.

I do think your a good guy at heart George but just think this was beyond your true nature and your expressing frustration wrongly here. I am no better really but I do take my punishment for stating stuff wrongly it is part of life.

18. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Problem here Neil is every new player is going to log in create an account to try to get a piece of that 1k PED. It is not the old players that will make the problem worse it will be the PED struggling new players, that could care less who wins just to get some PED, and there are alot of them out there I would guess over 1/2 Arkadia population.

19. cute781217

OK good. So the politicians in your country buying votes with money? Is it legal in your country? apparently not, right? Then why you do this? Ask friends to vote to you for nothing is one thing. Paying money for votes is another. You clearly know this is not right and unethical, but you still do this. So I think you not only deserve a Disqualified from the contest but also temp ban from both Arkadia forum and Calypso forum to give you some time to think it again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

You're right. 10 ped is peanuts to most of us, but to some new players that's a fortune :) And btw, I suspect the fraction of non-forum users is lower than 50%, especially when you go with players who have been in game less than 6 months. I think it's more like 20%. I'd say 50% for the experienced players!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.