1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Image Issue for cross-planet 'Form' posts

Discussion in 'About Arkadia Forums' started by narfi, Aug 10, 2011.

1. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Each forum understandably wants their own site to grow and progress without unneeded advertisement of the competition.

It is difficult esp. when on a limited bandwidth connection to upload a set of pictures 6 times for each of the major forums you want to place the same exact post.

+rep to the mods here for kindly taking care of the issues without making a big deal about it.

But it is still a concern of mine on how best to handle things like this since it is a fairly common issue.

Is there the possibility of all forums agreeing on a 3rd party image site that can be used or something like that?

Maybe it is just me, I don't know. But it would be nice if there was a better way to accomplish the same goals.

Thanks,
    narfi

2. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Active Member

Isn't photobucket allowed?

A account there is free.

Regards,
    Ion

3. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Not the way I read the rules,

am I mistaken?

narfi

4. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Active Member

No'p, looks that way indeed.

Maybe a exception can be made?

Regards,
    Ion

5. malasuerte

malasuerte Active Member

this site is the friendliest image host i have found: http://kn3.net/ you go to that page and right there is the upload button, you click, upload and it gives you the link, nos suscription, no ads, nothing. and they keep the images in there for ever AFAIK. maybe we can talk all the parties ino using it

6. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

The mods and admins don't police every image visible here on PAF, but we do try to get people to upload to host locally. There are a few reasons for this, but the top two are:
    1. Hotlinking from another site chews the host site bandwidth which is not cool for them if they have to pay a big bill at the end of every month.
    2. Image hosting sites can be used, but after a while people forget if they used an image and then if they delete it from the image hosting site, it will gank the posts made here.

There is an excellent way of doing it which means you only upload once, and it doesn't have to be here in PAF. Use the Attachment Manager and enter the URL of the image - the forum will suck it down and host it locally without you having to wait for it to upload again... that's how we mods and admins do it when we come across images hosted elsewhere. Seriously cool way to do it and takes literally 5 seconds per image so have a go at it. You'll love it.

The rule about it is pretty much a relaxed one. We can't police it, and if we did we don't want to make a fuss about it... we just hope people can take just that little bit of extra effort and extend a courtesy, remember, it's not PAF that pays the bill for a hotlinked image, it's the other sites, but if we make a conscious effort to keep this in mind we hope that the other sites would in turn do their best to not hotlink images from PAF either. Everybody wins :)

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1