1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning

Discussion in 'Ask an Adviser' started by miteke, May 3, 2013.

1. miteke

miteke Member

I noticed that even though my learning period is over on some items, I still learn skills. What does it mean, then, to have your learning period over?

2. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

The only thing it really means is that you can now use that weapon to it's full potential, which is why you should try to only use weapons you have maxed* already or very close to it

You will still gain a few skills even if you are lvl100 and use a LAW-TT R

*Skill Increase Bonus: Not Anymore

3. miteke

miteke Member

Wow, that was not what I expected! So it really should be called learning period penalty period.

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Well it might be worth contrasting with non-sib items. Those are maxed at lvl 100.
    It's also been alleged that skilling is enhanced while you use a weapon in SIB. However I haven't seen any supporting data.

5. miteke

miteke Member

So, what criteria do you use when choosing a weapon to buy and train? I've noticed that some weapons have absolutely insane markups while others do not. Why? If all weapons are balanced by MA to provide the same value per PED expended, what difference does it really make other than play style? Some of my own thoughts:

1) Some mobs are more vulnerable to certain damage types, so its good to have a few different weapons you are good at with different damage types if you plan to hunt different mobs.

2) I prefer UL. I don't like having to revisit the TT all the time and pay huge markups. Replacing that MAKO FAL blade is getting old.

3) Get at least one weapon you can attach an amp to when starting out and get an amp. Being able to do twice as much damage as you normally would really comes in handy.

4) Have at least one low end weapon to provide finishing shots.

6. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

They aren't balanced to provide the same value per ped. Your choice will depend on what you are trying to achieve and what loot theories you subscribe to. If you believe (as I do) that it's important to hunt efficiently, you will pay most attention to damage per pec (dpp), taking into account the affect of markup (MU) on that value. If you believe its all about TT expended then you will not care so much about dpp but will be looking for as little MU as possible. If you are hunting mobs with high regen rate or massive damage you will put more emphasis on damage per second (dps). If you want to be able to quickly swap weapons or to a fap, you will rule out weapons with a slow fire rate as you can't switch to another item during the reload time. If you are hunting mobs that have a large aggro range then a long range weapon becomes more important.

Nope. Unlike armoured players, mobs treat all damage equally.

Me too. But it can tie up a lot of ped depending on the TT value and the MU you pay for a unl weapon. And many unl weapons dont have SIB so are not efficient unless you are high level.

Yes amps are good. But try to stick to amps with good dpp so that they improve your efficiency as well as your max damage. Oh and amps can only boost your damage by 50% at most.

Yes finishers are important for smaller mobs. Later on it will become less relevant as you find it is better to kill that big mob quickly than let it have another go at hitting you. I don't think anyone uses a finisher on yuka.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

7. miteke

miteke Member

Thanks for the input, particularly about only being able to increase damage by 50% You saved me from my (bad) recent plan to attach a big amp to a small TT rifle.

So, where do I go to find the dpp for amps (or any other item I guess)?

8. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

Here: Entropedia.info

And if you click the "Weapon Compare" you can easily compare weapons at different markup, different skill levels and other things

9. miteke

miteke Member

nice page for comparing.