1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How gaining mining skills works with rookie and non-rookie finders

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by Ryloth, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Ryloth

Ryloth Member

So, I'm looking at skilling up in mining so I can max my rookie finder, then max a TT finder, etc. I only mine for ores, and so I only have two probes per drop with the rookier finder. The next step up, the TT finders, are twenty probes for that same "click" and scan.

If I was playing one evening and had time to do say 30 clicks, do I skill up at the same speed with my rookie finder as I would a TT finder that costs 10x more? If I am skilling up at the same pace then it is WAY more eco to stick with the rookie finder as long as one can; it is 1/10th the cost to play per hour basically. However, if I got say 10x more skillgains with the regular finder I would be leveling up faster.

I ask because I have pretty short playing times, and the skill gains with the rookie finder is so much slower in say an hour compared to hunting caraboks with an HK110. If I could switch soon (or now) to a TT finder to increase my skilling up speed I would strongly consider it.

Thanks for your help!

2. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

You'll skill up proportional to the amount you spend, so the regular 10/20/30 probe finder will skill you much faster than the 1/2/3 probe rookie. If you wanted to skill even faster you could use an amp which adds extra decay cost per drop in order to find bigger claims (but I wouldn't recommend that to players just starting out!) :)

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Ryloth

Ryloth Member

Great, good to know! Good to know about amps as well, though that is for the distant future. :)

4. Michael

Michael Member

I was wondering about this. I was having no luck at all with the 1/2/3 finders ( maybe it was locations ) but it was not fun, and horrible returns. Then I got a 10/20/30 and had a much better experience. I mostly dropped for ore but would throw a few min in as well. I got RF's way more and got a lot better returns for my runs :happy: I even hit a few ample's which is much more exciting for a noob than the one zap wonder with the 1/2/3. I would rather do one run with a 10/20/30 than 10 with a 1/2/3. That's just my opinion.:stats: I think a 5/10/15 would be nice ;) Anyway's thanks for the info.

5. Bradley Killer Kell

Bradley Killer Kell Member

Basically you Skill Up 10X Faster with the Finder that uses 10X more Probes... but generally to use such a Finder Effectively you need much higher Skills, so you reach Skill Curves where it slows.

Also, on Calypso if you use only Ore Finder, you can walk over Energy Matter Claims all day and never get one. On Arkadia you'd by-pass both Energy Matter AND Treasures.

So 'No Resources Found' may well not be true, there may well be Energy Matter or Treasure you are STANDING on, and missing out on.

Most people 'aim' for one thing at Advanced Levels, when they are 'farming' a certain Resource and need it to occur more than others (for Crafting or MU reasons)... I feel, and advanced players may freely counter this point... that EARLY in the game you don't care what comes out of the ground or at what MU, you just need more 'Hits' to happen.

In other words, use the entire Finder and let it do it's entire job. :D (Which also skills you faster.)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I disagree that going for only one type would reduce your overall TT return. Ore, enmatter, and treasure are independent in terms of TT return. They might be linked in terms of claim position, but that's a more complicated topic.

New players skilling up with plenty of peds just wanting to skill fast should mine as many types as they can at once. New players with few peds should probably limit themselves to one type at a time to get fewer and larger stacks for selling. More experienced players using amps might want to limit the type in order to maximize markup (depending on the region).

I usually mine for all three types at once, mainly because I'm short on time and want to get as many claims as possible, and since I'm usually amping there's a chance of getting some good treasure items like swords or armor that (sometimes) makes up for the low treasure MU.

Also, the Terramaster TT (1x probes) and the Terramaster 1 (10x probes) are both designed for beginning players at skill level 0.

7. syntax error

syntax error New Member

To echo what others have said, more spend equals more skills. However, I tend to disagree with ad-hoc mining unless you just like spending money.

If you are serious about mining you might as well start doing it right from the beginning, why start by building bad habits? There's a good chance your losses will just turn you off to mining before you even get into it.

IMO if you want to succeed with mining:

1. Use whatever finder gives you the best depth for your current skill level. Entropedia is helpful for this.

2. Whether you keep detailed logs of each run is up to you, but at least keep notes of what types of resources you find and where. Also make littlebigmininglog (LBML) your friend. No matter what your skill level, the only way to profit in mining is by targetting the resources that have the most MU. For some areas I only do single, some double, some triple drop. It all depends on location.

3. Amps are a gambling mechanism. Like everything in this game, they give you a greater potential win, but with a greater potential loss (which is where the odds are). It can be fun, but recognize it as such and don't bother amping unless you are willing to lose those peds. FWIW my last 3 hofs have been unamped.

• Agree Agree x 1