1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting an event for new players (suggestions)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

Okay, this has been buzzing around in my head for a bit and something I have done in other games to various degrees and options.

Long ago, in a MMO before the term was made, called The Realm, we used to put items of low cost on critters that we had customized and if someone killed it and got the item, we would check the list and give them the item it corresponded to. Of course there were those that would try to "fake" items, even going so far as to put these fake on mobs to ruin the fun of others but most folks understood and we changed the names of the items every hunt.

Another we did was in EQ where once a month, for an hour, we would pick a lower level (newbie) zone where the entire guild would go and hand out summoned food and water, healing, speed boosts or other buffs and that kind of thing just to help out as well as provide mob killing support for the new players that would have other players that though it was fun to pull some uber high level mob over them when they would have no hope of living. We were able to kill such things of course.

Now I know neither of these is really applicable to EU. But, I would like to get suggestions for event ideas and also advice on how they work.

I know there is a place just north of the Quarry that can host it, it cost 5 PED to set up plus up to 3 prizes and you can sell tickets. Reserve tickets cost extra but I have no idea what those are. And I understand many events are to benefit the land owner who gets a tax off the event to boot. I'm certainly no land owner but, I do enjoy helping new players out even though technically I am one. heh.

So, any advice, suggestions, thoughts, ideas (etc) would really help.

I think I got some ideas on prizes, nothing worth over 10 ped mind you, but useful for a new player.

Chest armor (value 7ped, cost was about 9ped to me)
    Herb Box or FAP (5-6 PED)
    Ammo (30-40k) which I know can be sold at cost if the winner needed to switch it out.

So basically 7ped, 6ped and 3-4 ped for first, second and third place.

Ticket prices would be low (I think) say .5 PED just so there is a little cost for involvement but not a prohibitive amount. Could even be less.

I just am not sure how it all works and not sure what are viable options for a competition/event being new myself. So I figured I would post here and see what advice/comments I can get.

I notice there are not alot of events on Arkadia in the event tab and few regular ones (was told there are a couple).

2. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Gill Greed runs some nice new player events/hunts, you might research how she does it.

If you are talking about the ingame event system then the reserved tickets are physical tickets that you get when creating the event which you can sell or hand out as you want (they are 1ped tt each if I remember right)

The problem with the ingame event system is that for low level player events, the prizes cant be high, and the fees for creating the event far outweigh anything you can recoup from ticket sales.

Creativity is necessary :D

Not sure if our play times overlap any, but add me to your fl in game and we can chat about ideas sometime.

gl,

narfi

**Edit**

found her website,
    http://gillg.com/index.html

3. SLD

SLD Member

Scavenger Hunt!

I've been planning to do a Scavenger Hunt event for quite awhile now, but never got around to doing it. But here's the idea.

1) First, post a thread here a few days or a week in advance to make people aware of the event. Then shout out the same info (or direct them to the thread) at areas were you know newer players will be.

2) Place an item on the ground in some remote location, and take a screenshot of the item at that location, careful not to show too much of the surroundings. For this I was going to use a Christmas Lantern I have, which can be lit up, making it stand out for sure here on Ark. Plus this item is at most worth 1ped, so no huge lose if someone just runs off with it. Henren Cube is also good for this, as its nice and bright and stands out.

3) For the next day or two (or week?), check on the item that it is still in place. If it is gone and no winner reports to you, then replace the item and wait again for a winner. Or find a new location, and update the thread info. Either way... for you it's a waiting game.

4) The reward will be given to the first person who submits a screenshot of their avatar standing in front of the item at the proper location. In order to receive the reward the winner trades the item back to you, and they get ped or gun or fap or whatever as reward. Also, before you trade the item for reward, you can do a scan to be sure its actually a noob. You could just as easily make it that the item found was the reward, but this means someone might find it and never bother to tell you. Same can happen with any item placed of course, but if you use something very low TT but also unique than they will probably rather get the real reward than keep the 1ped item.

It's a good way to get new players to fully explore Arkadia, and become familiar with different areas and/or mobs they will see while searching out the item.

4. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Will do, I am Central US time.

Currently spent Sunday stuck in Space on the Starfinder II...heh

5. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Sounds nice. Items on the ground won't poof will they?

6. thelegend77

thelegend77 Member

they wont. I can leave a Marber Tango on the ground and hide it for years. ANddd it will remain there 4ever even after EU disappears :D

7. Hideo

Hideo Active Member

original event by Hugh Willose on Calypso
    http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?186957-Lost-My-Ticket-Event-100-ped-Reward
    ...and the new one continued by Johan Roadkill
    http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/f...636-Lost-My-Ticket-Event-100-ped-Reward-(new)

it was, most of the time:rolleyes:, a very entertaining and often very challenging search for the tiny ticket. ofc the 100ped reward was incentive enough to explore the wilderness for hours, sometimes even for days or weeks :eek:

actually its the same as was suggested above and links are just meant for an outlook of such an event and its outcome :cool:

cheerio