1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missions For Mentors and Disciples

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by RexDameon, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

Once again i've been greatly disapointed by MA's Mentor system. It really does not work, but i'm not going to go on with whats wrong with it.

What i'm wondering is if A-Team could use the tools they are given to enhance it? What I'm thinking of is mentoring missions. Like where you get a disciples and have to go out and do certain tasks. Like kill a certain number of mobs in team together. Make a certain path. Maybe something to do with wave spawns like clear a wave spawn together, or do an instance together. Teach them to fly (thats something i like to do is let my disciple fly my chopper or vtol to the tp. That sort of thing.

I must say the one thing i miss about calypso is doing the sabakumba pit. I didn't have to and it wasn't part of the mentor system but it's a lot of fun clearing that task together with someone and if i had something similar here i'd be inviting a disciple to go with me to do it.

Is this even possible?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

what's keeping you from doing this on your own, not all mentors follow your way of things or think your way is a good way etc...

3. unicorn

unicorn Active Member Pro Users

i would rather make changes to the way what it takes for a disciple to achieve the graduation.

that is for me atm ways to easy an too fast. after some days hunting the gift is given away and the mentor can tell kiss me good bye.

so mentoring should become a very special profession which reduce the entries on the mentor register down to people who just have the real abilities and talents to do it. that would make a disciple haveing it easier to see if a mentor can really help and advice him and teach him through the discipleship and a disciple can decide then if a mentor is really suitable.

it should also be possible to rep a mentor when leaving him any time and every mentor who get too much negative rep be deleted from the mentor register automatically until he finishes missions to get the rep back very slowly to become a mentor again. that make some mentors communicate with the disciples more and not just lure on the gift to come.

and to be able to become a mentor you should have to finish the missions with slow repgain first so only people will become mentor who really want to do it.

so maybe a new skill "mentor reputation" which determines if someone can become a mentor. dont let everyone register too easy.
    in real life people have to study long time to even be considered as teacher.

atm is too easy for people to register as mentor and give the disciple some peds to get the gift for the mentor in 2-3 days.

if the disciple reach all requirements to do the graduation after a long period of time maybe there should be a test in form of questions the disciple has to answer. like 400-500 questions related to all kind of things from all over the universe. that would determine if a disciple has really travelled the universe and done a large variety of things so far.

ofc it would be possible to look the answers up on the internet but even that way the disciple would get answers to the questions and still learn from it more. or make the test have to be done in a certain time.

after a long period of discipleship with a successful graduation that would make reason to give out better mentor gifts than hunter armor which is not a suitable mentor gift when considering how long it would take until you can call a new player ready to go.

thinking of activities which the mentor does with the disciple should be on the side of the mentor. i would not make a liniear path for the mentorship to be followed as mentoring is a kind of thing which is strongly depending on the mentors skill of how to teach people and what to show them and what not.

so maybe more achievements for the disciple be good. like "reach 5k peds on your pedcard"
    if the disciple play it together or just depo is on his own decision.
    that be a good achievement for a disciple he would have to work with the mentor together on. i bet there are alot mentors who are not able to even achieve that themselfes.

so the newbie learn to attend to activities and get rid of the mentors who tell others to do that boring swunts with 10 sweated ped the newbie got after a week makeing annoying sound with the VSE-MK1 until he logs off cause the newbie thinks it lead to nothing cause after some pew pew pew on first mobs he has no peds anymore and can sweat for a week again.

such mentors for me tell the newbies to selfexploit themselfs into boredom cause all the time is not worth the adjusted pixie and explorer truck.

bad mentors and good mentors.

stop them to jerk around!

=)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Max EJ

Max EJ Member

Well I agree with you silv, but the system won't change anytime soon. Took MA long enough just to re-develop it.
    But with hard thinking and lot of imagination I'm sure people can help the A-team find some cool ideas how to enhance the mentoring on Arkadia.
    Like for example we can do competitions that check knowledge, or competitions where the disciple and the mentor must do together to win and A-team could give unique prizes to the winners.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jenny ferr

Knowing where you come from I can see where you got this idea so let me take you down a step too, so only "rich" people should be able to mentor "rich" people in a way a certain bird prefers it...

So force people to do this or that a certain way?

where the hell did free will go in this universe, your way is best to keep people playing and not mine? (not specifically a question for you Max, but to most who "know" how to do it)

6. unicorn

unicorn Active Member Pro Users

well actually that idea has nothing to do in what soc i am nor has it to do anything with being rich.

everyone can do that in the universe it afford no money just involves more than clicking a mouse.

if a mentor tell people how to deposit and how to aim a gun and click plain on creatures or how to equip a amp on a mining finder that is for me no mentoring and that type of headless mentoring affords that the disciple is rich to continue playing actually.

i dont see mentoring as a part to tell people how to use their credit cards. a mentor is for me no type of dealer who encourages players to spend their money on eu for a pair of hunter gloves in return and to secretly laugh around "yeah another one who pay for my hofs" who does such things has for me no self esteem.

because of the RCE a disciple has expectations and when i tell them to just click and not think they will one day call me words cause they trusted me and maybe lost alot money. they will make me responsible for that. cause people often search for excuses why something is not their own fault.

i am no dealer neither am i working for the company behind EU so i dont have to fix people to bring their money in here.

if the company need money they must self make them a head how to get it. i am not responsible for that.

everyone must self know what he like and not. and who want to spend 100 dollar a week to pee it on argonauts away shall do it.

i wont encourage someone to not do it. i am no EU doctor i only help people who seek help.

and when it comes to track anything back to "a certain bird":

What more ideas for mentoring have people?
    Maybe we can collect more ideas without judgeing the ideas of others?

7. Jenny ferr

I said what I wanted to say, and what does that quote have anything to do with this? lol

8. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Some very good points being made here. Very interesting discussion.

Also, please keep the innuendo to a minimum and the civility to a maximum, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. David | Arkadia

David | Arkadia Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

I think it's unlikely the A Team can modify the actual mentor system, so the most constructive suggestions come in the form of developments we can do on the planet. An example as given by Rex is to make a wave spawn of low level mobs that a mentor can invite their disciple to come do together. We have a lot on our plate atm, so we can't do much on this straight away but certainly over time I'd like to implement good suggestions that at least help the better mentors to provide training experiences and opportunities for their disciples to experience different aspects of the universe.

10. Max EJ

Max EJ Member

I think you got it totally wrong, I said nothing about forcing anything. I only suggested that we can do competitions that will add to the mentor-disciple experience.

11. RexDameon

yea exactly these were not MUST DO mentor missions. They where just OPTIONAL missions that mentors can do that increase the fun and play ability and encourage mentors to actually go out and do stuff with there disciples and have fun with them. Stuff that would not even cost anything but Time. It be nice to get like Mentor skill as a reward for taking a disciple to a wave spawn and completing it with him. And maybe even the disciple getting one of the skills to be able to graduate sooner. Or maybe some sort of activity to get them a piece of clothing or something.

12. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I think I know where she was coming from: You said "competitions where the mentor and disciple must do together..." So, in effect, you did say something about forcing. You need to make it clear that these missions or "competitions" would be completely optional. It wasn't clear at all. If you had used the word option with missions and competitions that required the mentor and disciple to work together, that particular misunderstanding would likely have been avoided altogether.

I don't pretend to know where everyone is from, and I don't know you, but I will point out (generally, not at any particular person) that not everyone has English as their first language and, as such, don't always completely understand what is being said. So make sure you're clear about you're saying.

13. RexDameon

This is exactly what i'm wanting not a modification to the mentor system but missions and activities designed to give mentor and disciple something fun to do together and some little rewards would be great too so at least if loot is not good i could be like oh well i got some mentor skill out of it and it was fun.

Things i currently like to do with a disciple:
    Take them hunting
    Teach them how to fly VTOL (love that i can let them take the controls and let them fly to teleporters)
    In the past doing a "robot beacon" with a disciple was a blast so something with instances would be great. like an instance that only a mentor and disciple could do.

• Like Like x 1