1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the shop designs?

Discussion in 'Shops' started by GeorgeSkywalker, Jun 2, 2011.

1. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Before voting please make sure you have actually visited an Arkadian shop. These are on the ground floor of the apartment blocks at some tp's like Celeste Harbour. Above the shop are apartments have a look at those as well. Thanks.

Personally I hate the shop designs. The apartments above the shop floor are fine but the shops are aweful!

Firstly there is an annoying corridor system you have to navigate through to get inside the shop. What purpose does that serve? to annoy people and drive them away from the shop perhaps?

Once your inside there is no windows or anything so they are all like cellars.

Perhaps it would be better to design the shops like apartments i.e. no annoying corridor. Why not have no corridor? you walk in and your in shop? why complicate matters?

2. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Active Member Pro Users

hehe I didnt know there are shops on Arkadia. I will go have a look

3. Kitten

Kitten Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think they need an outside door or something. Then that inside hallway is like in the backs of real shops for shipping and receiving hehehe. The outside doors could go to a little outside display area patio shaped would ROCKS. Then we can put like plants or flowers or signs out there ^.^

4. Faye

Faye Member Pro Users

Well for the L musuem i am thinking off buying such a place at sanc cove with shop for the item points ...i like them

5. Leona

Leona Member

Lag prevention. All shops on all planets have something like that. And so do all service containers. Game engine would else render anything that is inside if you are just walking by.

6. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

I thought of that, the way RT does it is you have a door that stops this lag prevention. At least I think it does, with this door you can walk in and out through it. So there really is no need for an elaborate contraption, simplicity is genius :)

7. Bearlover

Bearlover New Member

Not fussed by the design at all. I agree with kitten re the patio area that allows you to add a personal touch to the outside of the shop.
    Not sure if i will buy a shop with the current design. I hope with time and updates to the designs it might become more functional for both the shopowner and the customer..

8. Freyr

Freyr Member

I am torn,. on one side i like the shops, I think the size/space inside is good.
    On the otherside i dont like the maze corridor you have to walk through to get inside the shop.

I can understand the main shop content needs to be "shielded" from all avatars that pass by, avoid unnecessary lag.
    However I think it could be designed a little different. the hall leading to the shop not only uses quite alot of space,
    it isnt a very appealing entrance, zig zag your way into a building to reach the retail area of the shop.

While there are no claim markers yet, I hope there will be some itempoints on the outside, enough to make the entrance look a bit more atractive,
    and on the inside alot of itempoints (250+) signs, shelfs, lights and some deco takes away 50points easy.
    maybe another window, a little more natural light couldnt hurt :)

9. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

voted No, just because of the maze, but it it's necessary to minimize lag outside then I would like to change my vote to Yes.

If it's not possible to do without this maze then it's great they done it this way, anyway wont stop me from looking around the shops anyway

10. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

I also think this is a lag issue.

Take a look at all shops on Calypso. All of them have a corridor including the newest shops at Medusa. Only reason why the mall shops have a display area on the outside is because the shops are inside a big building. Appartments on Calypso / FOMA are designed simular even though they have a door I have seen that they do not load till your around the corner of the corridor.

I would also love to see the shops not have the corridor and also the appartments to have the tellivator right inside the appartment sins its the only appartment on that floor but if it can not be done without causing lag Im all OK with the current setup.

PS if the Dev team can perhaps make it that a displays can be setup outside the shop (not in the corridoor) It would be awsome. Also if the Dev team can give an estimate about when shops will come online It would be even more awsome (money for shop is starting to burn a hole in my pants).

11. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Active Member

Televator can not be placed in the apartment if there is the option to set the apartment to private as far as I know.

I guess thats the reason that the televator is outside the apartment.

Regards,
    Ion

12. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

My only "beef" with them, and the apts, is the same one as on Calypso...

They're all from the same "cookie cutter".
    Yea, it'd be a bitch to individualize every one so they have some kind of difference but at least have "different" shop-apartment layouts in different locations.
    Even the ability for the player to "paint" the outside (and inside) walls would be a major bonus to individualization.
    ...I should at least post this last one in the suggestion box, eh? Our devs actually read our forum. :) - Tho it's more than likely on MA's end to implement it, Dr. Dave could suggest it. Hey, paint yer house = paint used = peds spent. I don't see MA balking at that.

I'd hope you could at least put a sign outside the shop!
    ....What about the overhang? Can this be used for items? Seems like it should be able to...

Tippin'

13. Bamaken

Bamaken Member

I dont realy see any way to advertize shop, outside of shop as in signs such.
    Think it would have been better suited strip mall, shops inside.
    Each shop private instance drops lag.

14. Darkaner

Darkaner Member

There's a square cutout in the wall outside the shop, I wonder if that's the shop window? If there's no window to put signs in these shops are useless.

I like the layout of the buildings though, it looks realistic with ap buildings that has shops at the ground floor, and they are all located quite close to tp's.

However the apartments themselves are completely uninteresting.

15. SR Torzman

SR Torzman Member

There should be a large marketplace in every city, where players can hire a table and sell their stuff. t.e.x 10 items or more.

16. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I LOVE this idea! Rent it by the day, or maybe by the week. First come, first served. Have limits on how often you can rent it so that everyone can have the opportunity to rent a space, and so it's not used in place of a permanent shop.

17. Ruben

Ruben Member

Well.....
    I looked for a probably place to sell items and had look into this Appartments too.

I dont like both.
    As said before...this zigzag course inside is like to go into a cove. Find yourself at the dead and in a windowless, and as i think, small room.
    A not nice one.
    What to do with the walls at the walk inside ? Pin Paintart ?
    May be the Window in the entry area can be a showcase. That would be nice !

Appartments ?
    hey yeah i like the galerie idea at the end of the ramp. No stairs is a fine idea too.

But again im disapointed from Windows.
    I picked a place to have a good look to Celeste Harbors Waterfalls. What did i see ? Nothing..cos window is too dark.
    Or a nice view over the Piers ? Now way !

The buildings themselfs are interesting and well. A bit more changing in design would be even better.

so under the line......
    more bad than good in my eyes...............

Greets
    Ruben

18. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Voted no on the shop design, corridor is a pain. If the corridor was like the malls in calypso and be just an L shape that's ok but the winding back and forth is a pain however. I do like the size of all the shops, but wish there was more of a variety of styles. Heard there will be Ox carts instead of booths that might be interesting. Especially if you can tame a Hadraada or Oro to pull it around for you to different locations LOL, bring a true purpose to tame an animal. Mobile carts to sell stuff out of but I truly doubt it will be that way.

I do however like the Apartments, I like the views from the windows etc. could be more variety in styles but I do like what they have as a current apartment for the condo complexes. Hope they add other houses and such later on with unique characteristics like on Calypso.

19. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

I just found myself thinking that since the shop designs appear to have been changed lately, maybe this thread is obsolete now? Or needs to be updated? Or closed and replaced with a new one? Thoughts?

20. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hmm shop design has been changed, I need to take a look at that tonight first I heard about this. Thanks for the heads up TimUnleashed.