1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruising The EU In Gagarin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Mutant Atrax Stalker, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Mutant Atrax Stalker

Mutant Atrax Stalker Active Member

Helooo Arkadians,

I've started spending a lot of time on the mothership Gagarin. I first came aboard by contributing to a regular weekly skilling trip put together by Arkadians Unleashed and the Arkadian Star Fleet. Since then, I've moved in.

George Ace Skywalker, owner of the gagarin is not using the ship on any regular basis yet, and has graciously allowed for it to be stored at arkadia and put to use when he doesn't need it.

I'm thinking about piloting the trip on a series of (somewhat) regular trips bewteen the various planets of EU. Ace has indicated that he is open to making additions to the guest list at certain times, so many of you who have not had a chance to explore or ride in a mothership may have the chance to do so in the coming weeks.

The purpose of this post is to describe the format that i have in mind, and solicit feedback. Please share your thoughts or opinions, and remember that you may have the chance to participate, even if interplanetary travel is something you think is outside of your reach. Real feedback is important, thanks.

Here is the proposed format for this sort of "Cruise":

Different players may want these trips for different reasons. Just in case you're not sure of what to make of this, I'll share a couple of ideas with you here, and if you have other thoughts or ideas, please share them.

Sometimes they will be destination trips. Even players that aren't interested in exploring Rocktropia may want a chance to Hunt The THING, for instance.

Some players will be primarily interested in seeing a planet that they haven't seen before.

Some players will be interested in an EXTREMELY ECONOMICAL opportunity for interplanetary trading. As long as the owner of the ship lets these trips occur, those who are guests can "cold sleep" to the destination planet with as much loot as they care to take. Once I have cleared and posted a scheduled trip, I will make my best effort to keep that schedule or arrange for it to be kept, even if the ship appears to be completely empty.

Some players are actually interested in exploring the various activities available in space and/or in a mothership, and make take a trip or two just to see how it works. This is fine, and I think this is part of the reason the Ace is willing to open up his ship so much.

If the ship is populated with "live" passengers we may stop for some skilling, or to let a few players take their try at killing a cosmic horror with a giant mothership gun. Trips to Calypso can certainly be routed to include a pass by by F.O.M.A. and CP for those who have been wanting a look at these unique virtual environments, or try their hand at the hunting, mining, or other activities available there.

Motherships are SLOW, and for now these will not be warp trips. AT approximately 1.5 hours from Arkadia to Next Island, a trip to calypso will be several hours, and if we stop to skill or get harassed it could take a while longer. Scheduled trips will include a minimum and maximum trip time to allow for skilling stops and minimal harassment. So far I've been at one "party amongst the stars" and it was at least as good as any bach party in EU. C'mon let's go for a ride.

If we have "live" passengers we can decide amongst ourselves whether to skill/defend in case of pirates or let them blow her up and try to get on our way. If we have people willing to serve as gunners and repairers under attack we might be able to take out 1 or more pirates.

Gagarin is not a very strong ship yet, and it's probably not safe for you to hang out on a long, advertised trip with lootables in inventory. I recommend that you get aboard early and log yourself out for the maximum scheduled duration of the trip. Since you will incur only shuttling costs and be able to arrange nearly zero risk this will open up some trading (or even just loot sales) options for users who otherwise don't have enough budget or turnover to trade with other planets.

So, any thoughts, ideas, or wishes to share here? (Constructive) Criticism? Specific interests?

Let's hear it!

Edit: Edited for clarity, spelling, and format.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bemo

Bemo Deactivated User

Sounds nice. Can count me in as a regular repairer. Would be nice to be in space a bit and off the planets.

-Bemo-

3. Mutant Atrax Stalker

Hi Bemo.

If you want to get on the ship's guest list and start skilling i suggest that you visit the weekly skilling trip. There will be people there to help you get a ride and show you the basics if you aren't familiar with a mothership, or don't have a thruster. Normally during this trip the ship is taken out to the Arkadia Training Ground so that participants can work on their repairing skills.

I don't organize or run that trip but they do use Gagarin. You can find the current schedule and history of the event ->here<-

For a limited length of time, people added to the list during these events will continue to be allowed to participate in the various activities of the Gagarin. That would include the "cruises" described in this thread, as well as other events and trips.

Other people will be (are already) scheduling activities including trips using the ship.

4. Blood Rebel Templar

Blood Rebel Templar Member

Thanks to George Ace Skywalker for the use of the ship and Atrax for organizing the opportunity to be on the Gagarin`s trip from Arkadia to Next Island. IMO the concepts of operations that Atrax has detailed are both interesting and experiences that one should not pass by. Atrax and the crew are great to work with and i am looking forward to hunting, skilling and trade trips. This first trip was a one way to NI because i wanted to rediscover it and try new missions.

The reason why i like the MS Gagarin is because you can walk around, operate equipment and be part of a crew in a large finely designed ship in, giving you the complete Space Travel experience.

Great job Atrax and thanks for the experience.

5. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Sounds good.

6. Mutant Atrax Stalker

Thanks Neil, Blood :)

George is really the hand behind this, I got into a good situation and I'm not afraid to spread the fun :)

For those who aren't aware, Neil is also active with Gagarin at this time and looking at some (possibly upcoming) events which will include her too.

Remember that the weekly skilling trip is the most convenient time/place to get on the guest list. If you don't want to skill you're not required to, but please don't interfere with the event or "Steal" any free shuttle service and then leave (Figured i would mention that just in case). There are sometimes free (volunteer) rides available at the event, and they are offered in good faith for those who need it to skill. You can normally get a round trip shuttle ride for less than 10 ped if you just want to "knock" on the ship

I am tentatively considering a trip to calypso soon, decided my schedule was too compressed to do it this weekend. This means that anyone who is already on the list, or joins the skilling event on Tuesday, should be able to participate in a calypso trip leaving arkadia wednesday and returning thursday. The schedule for tht trip will be announced according to the guidelines posted above, as soon as i am sure of the times.

I know that only a small percentage of players actually use the forums. However there is some concern that arkadians in general won't be interested in this sort of thing as a regular activity. Even if it's a short post please drop in and share your thoughts or feelings thanks.

7. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Hi MAS,

Sounds like a great opportunity for anyone with the time! And a very generous offer at that.

I've been hoping to experience mothership crewmanship for some time, but am limited by my relatively short log sessions (2-3hrs, etc) and time zone (utc-5). I'm more than willing to participate long term if I could log on/off on the mothership.

8. Mutant Atrax Stalker

The owner of the ship has been very liberal with access, and indicated that he isn't rushing to change that policy. As long as you are on the list, you are welcome to log in and out on the ship. You might not log in where you logged out, but personally i find that an attractive prospect. I suspect that some others do, too.

However, you could log in and find yourself ejected into space or stranded at a random planet if he decides to clean the list while you're logged out.

No Guarantees :)

If you want to make a more stable arrangement, come get involved with the ship and her guests, and you will soon find a chance to speak with her owner.

Edit: Puck I'm operating in UTC -7

Second Edit: A general note, my display name in game as Atrax. This is generally also sufficient address :)

I put my full ava name in the forum ID just to avoid any potential issues with in-game recognition.

Third edit: According the the forum "Spy" I sure do edit my posts a lot lol

9. Fiasco V

Fiasco V Member

This topic is relevant to my interests. I arrived on Arkadia via interplanetary teleport, and with no desire to leave; therefore I have yet to experience Spaaaaaaace. I would appreciate the opportunity to participate in low-risk space exploration and low-risk intergalactic trading. Obviously just a chance to muck around a Mothership Class vessel is pretty enticing. Hope to see you this Tuesday at the Quarry!

10. Blood Rebel Templar

Blood Rebel Templar Member

You will really enjoy the experience Fiasco V, much more to do than watching space through a quad or VTOL window.

11. Chuck Jarrdhead Wholrey

Chuck Jarrdhead Wholrey Active Member

I would love to go on a skilling trip, the last one was while i was at work <no biggie>. I am average of lvl 9 crafting profession. and i can bring a ton of rk-5's to the party 8)