1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crafting Economics

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by wournos, Aug 21, 2014.

1. wournos

wournos Active Member

Today I did my very first non-mentor crafting session. I chose to make Carabok Leather Texture because it seemed like a good idea and has been recommended by various sources. I took note of basically everything (except success rate) in my Excel sheet. But now I don't know how to calculate what I should charge for the textures in case I sell them.

I started with 297 hides and turned them into 99 leather (0.03p decay).
    99 leather turned into 173 textures (153 Metal Residue returned).
    84 Basic Leather Extractors were used in the process.

Am I right when adding decay+BLE cost to texture value before calculating MU?

Feel free to explain as if I'm 10. Economics is not my thing (though I am good at not spending/saving).

2. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

You shouldn't sell them based on cost to make them. Sell them based on what the current markup is.
    Markups of both ingredients and final products change on daily basis, wanting to sell crafted stuff for a profit or for break even might lead to keeping your crafted stuff in your storage for months.

3. wournos

wournos Active Member

Ok. Not the answer I was hoping for. I guess I'll hang on to crafted items until I can sell them for profit.

4. SLD

SLD Member

The MU on something every avatar can easily obtain for themselves will inevitably drop over time, unless an outside force intercedes (drop rate is decreased). This is especially true for Carabok hides/texture, considering everyday there are new avatars made and the first mob they will hunt is Carabok. With that said, I think the MU on the hides/texture is pretty decent and in most cases should cover losses taken in the crafting process. Not to mention you will get some decent texture BP drops along the way that can pay for the entire run once sold, oh and don't forget the valuable skill gains. Best to sell the texture at current market value, don't let it get all dusty in storage.

Good luck on your crafting adventure!

5. Colbey Kal

Colbey Kal Member

Here are some simple things to remember:

-The current listed MU is an average of the sales made on the auction. This, by definition, means that some sales are for below this average and some sales are for above this average.

-People are intelligent enough to make their own choices. You are never hurting anyone besides yourself by listing things at a higher MU than listed. If people think it's too high they are free to pass and the only cost will be to you in 'wasted' auction fee.

-Every other avatar in EU has the potential to do exactly what you are doing in whatever you do. So to 'earn' a profit, you'll need to do something other real life people are willing you pay to for. This could be specializing by having uncommon skills / BP / gear, doing something they find dull, or just thinking differently than the normal player.

-People generally will prefer to have something now rather than in 2-5 days with the possibility of getting over-bid in the last hour, so they will pay more for things with a BO.

-There are not an infinite amount of people playing, especially on Arkadia. Those that play do not search for everything they are interested in on the auction every day, so do not be surprised if something that "should" sell doesn't sell in any given week.

-Players that are interested in something still only want limited quantities. For textures 1 field is said to take 323 units. People will buy less or more since they can put stacks together, or sell the leftovers, but usually only if it is at a bargain price.

- Humans are not perfectly rational and Entropia is a game. Do what you enjoy.

6. wournos

wournos Active Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm a tad bit unskilled to know what I want to specialize in. But I will find something to do eventually.
    As for EU being a game, had it not had the RCE aspect I'd be more inclined to test things but since money has to come from outside the game initially (or always for some) I'm much more restricted in my choices.