1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missions Convert old IFN missions to killpoint versions.

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by KikkiJikki, Nov 3, 2015.

1. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

As we know, once upon a time all mob missions were "kill x mobs". Later on "kill x points worth of mobs" were introduced and these have been quite popular as you have the choice to kill lots of youngs or less lots of stalkers.

Previously we've suggested that the old missions be changed to killpoint versions but the response was that this was not possible.

I'd like to draw your attention to the following from the caly patch notes:
    "The Iron Challenge: Cornundacauda mission chain has been converted to Kill Points from number of kills; higher maturity creatures provide higher mission points."

Now that the precedent has been set I think the Ark devs should consider making similar changes here.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Tancred

Tancred Member

Just because something can be changed does not mean it is good to change it.

I can understand why a seasoned hunter prefer killpoints since they can hunt all maturities and thus have the choice (or should I say no choice, I see no reason for them to go for lower maturity). Less seasoned hunters do not have that choice and must hunt low maturities thus making the killpoint missions very time consuming. I.e. for casual hunters the kill x mobs makes it possible to get a higher variance of mission chains to select from, that can be finished in a reasonable time. Thus giving more choice to them.

Also, I personally like that the "old/original" mobs have the kill x mobs instead of kill x points. It is just a Little bit of Arkadia history for someone like me, who has been here since day 1.

/Tancred

3. KikkiJikki

I don't know about you but the maturity and mob I hunt depends on the state of my ped card/credit card. Sometimes I need the more consistent return of the the lower lvl mobs and to make my peds last longer. So I disagree that seasoned hunters would have no choice but to go big. And perhaps some lower level hunters would have skills and ped card to go after the higher maturity mobs on the low lvl missions. I'm not really seeing that people would be disadvantaged by this change.

Having said that, I can appreciate that you have an attachment to the old style missions. But I think that the general popularity of kill point missions can be seen and has been noted by the devs who have responded by making most (but not all) new missions use kill points. I'm pointing out that there is an opportunity to go back and adjust those earlier missions.

I would particularly draw attention to the missions for aakas mobs. Rewards for grasshoppers, male magurgs, ubo appear to be based on the difficulty (or lack there of) to kill the base lvl mobs in aakas. There's not a great deal of incentive to hunt the ones spawned on LAs as the cost to kill is not reflected by the mission rewards. I don't know if anyone has completed the grasshopper dna but I doubt it will ever be used in an LA. Making those mob missions killpoint based would help landowners and also make the UG instances more attractive.

Anyway, just something for the Devs to consider.

4. T79x

T79x Adviser Arkadia Adviser

its not supprize MA can change anytnhing on their MONOPOLYSO planet but dont alow do same on others
    so its not much on ark devs but on MA managers

5. Haruto Rat

Haruto Rat Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. KikkiJikki

I guess there's an upside to things being tested on Caly first. Easy enough to fix. The tough part is deciding what rate to use to convert exisiting progress. I think of a few reasonable options.

7. Tancred

Tancred Member

That is a good reason, making a choice dependent on time or ped. So there is a real choice, and choice is good. Thanks for pointing it out.

My assumption is that IFN mission grinding is the main ped income for arkadia, due to that popularity you mention. However, how does it become popular, how do people get started with them? Logically, it is the rewards. But emotionally I would like to suggest that it is has to do with the old kill x mobs missions since the first levels are relatively easy to complete. A quick reward is a really good way to get people hooked, understand the value of doing them and therefore progress to the missions that requires a big(ger) investment in either ped or time.

So my argument would be that both are needed.

Interesting, I have never bothered looking into the rewards since I never do the missions for the rewards. Current gold rush is the first exception for me, but it is a one time event. I just want the feeling of accomplishment. But I guess if the rewards are badly balanced, that should be possible to fix without converting the mission type.

Agree, and I'm sure they will.

/Tancred

8. Tommy

Tommy Member

Maybe this is a bit off topic but why are the rewards for last stages of a mission so low ? Its about 50 in skills and some trophy or atribute points , caly has the eviscerator mission with 100 ped reward at the end , was just wondering cause i am trying to skill shortblades faster.
    Also might be a good idea to let the players choose what they need , for ex you like to grind a specific mob but the end rewards are no use for you , i know there are a few missions like that implemented , wish there would be more :biggrin2:

9. San

San Well-Known Member

The idea is so logical, it literally thrusts itself upon us. Yet still, something made me hesitate to hit the 'agree' button. Reaching the repeatable stage 6 in itself is a thing of no small significance, as I see it. Accelerating the way to get there would be a slap in the face to all who have achieved it before. There you could just come as an avatar already trained up on another planet and rush through the ranks which took a native much more time to build through ascending difficulty. It doesn't feel fair to me. I am saying this to my own disadvantage, chewing quite a bit on those long stretches of 12,000 kills.

For the creatures found only in the Aakas and Underground instances and in high maturities on two private land areas, it does make sense however. Given how maturities of those are distributed, difficulty vs. the respective mission rewards seems undue indeed. Therefore I'd vote to convert only these to killpoints, and leave the rest as is. So this affects Yarrijak, Ubo, Magurg Male, Aakas and Dehera. The special cases of Rakta (only one maturity) and Magurg Female (never appears in large numbers) need no change as long as their circumstances aren't changed.

10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think the only real reason for not changing them is that the rewards might not be properly balanced after the change... However, I've always been of the opinion that outdated missions ought to be updated, regardless of how many are currently in the mission or the feelings of those who have already done the mission. When it's a change toward a more fair and better mission, just do it. Announce here on the forums that missions will be changed in 6 months and anybody who has a problem with that better finish their stage before then.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KikkiJikki

I like the idea of positive changes with plenty of notice.

12. the Prophet

the Prophet Active Member

better not let mindark convert anything, you all can see clearly that they seem to have trouble every time they try :D