1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism in EU

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jaywalker, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

My reasons for posting this are twofold:

1) The happy reason! My impression has been that a huge percentage of EU players are on the Autistic spectrum and it's long been my mind to cofirm this with a poll. Ummm... but I don't see the "Create Poll" option? hopefully I'll sort that one out lol

2) Secondly, and very sadly, I'll probably be quitting PCF on an Autism -related issue. The problem seems to be that since a certain Calysan decided to promote/sponsor the ironically-named Autism Speaks, in resonse to Autism Awareness Month ...well, since then any criticism of Autism Speaks, however mildly phrased, is regarded as an attack on the said Calypsan, and deleted accordingly!

Now I can't stay on a forum that won't permit two points of view on that so-called charity. So I thought I'd better get my side in first, before someone on Ark gets the same bright idea, and i wind up excluding myself from this forum too.

Here's a link to a petition, to Lindt Chocolates, from the Autism Self Advocacy Network. The petition is now closed, but it expresses the concerns that many autisic people have about Autism Speaks very clearly and concisely.

I doubt that Lindt replied "Stop trashing our chocolates" then went and got the petition deleted from the web. But who knows? Stranger things have happened,

Here's what is probably my final post on my service thread over there:

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

umm, yep, I'm perseverating on this issue but, can't help wondering if the mods over here would delete a thread that started like this?

"If it's OK to sponsor a questionable charity via an in-game event/ PCF, then I should think it's OK to point out that a lot of serious concerns have been raised about the charity in question, in the relevant thread.

But apparently not. My post was deleted as off-topic [​IMG] Thus I'm re-posting my concerns in the “Off-Topic Forum” I shall also PM the event organiser to alert him to this thread, as there is still time to change his mind about sponsorship before the event begins; and he is probably unaware of the concerns raised about this organisation.

I was particularly dismayed to find that Autism Speaks was a beneficiary, as this organisation has been seriously criticised by the adult Autistic community...many of whom play this game! (yep, you count me in) Nor is concern limited to this community.

I shan't post any external links this time, in case that gives further reason for objection. However, if you Google the phrase “Autism Speaks don't speak for me” you'll find plenty of articles explaining what the problems are"

Does this really sound like a personal attack? I don't think I was even being unfriendly.

And would you completely ignore the following:

"To the mods:

In the case that you find you agree with [NAME DELETED]'s POV, please delete all reference to the event in question, whilst leaving the thread otherwise intact.

If the mis-named Autism Speaks is to be promoted on PCF in the name of Autism Awareness Month, then it is surely only fair and appropriate that autistic members of the forum should also have their say, somewhere. Otherwise, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Autism Awarenes as such, isn't it?

Failing this, I think that all reference to Autism Speaks on PCF should be removed"

OK . I'll try to shut up about that issue, now, because I really do want to discuss Autism in EU , in a general sort of way

3. Kosh

Kosh Member

You have my full support. It is too often that these organizations are paternalistic towards the communities they are supposed to be helping. Thinking they (the "normal" ones) understand the needs of people better than the people themselves is an out-dated approach that needs to be replaced.

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Being somewhere in the Apsergers spectrum myself, I an appreciate your sensitivity on the issue of "Autism as a disease" and the research into pre-natal testing. (I think that is where you are coming from with your concerns about Autism Speaks.)

However,

Quitting PCF over this issue appears over the top. Why do you allow others to determine your behaviour? These forums are not bastions of free speech and sometimes you will get shutdown unfairly. Get over it, move on and use the forum to your benefit. Or you can leave as you have chosen to do but that's not a choice I would make.

In any case, bringing your arguement with PCF mods to this forum is not really cool.

Re the specific concerns with Autism Speaks, I want to avoid getting into a real world discussion that is potentially very emotional for those involved. I will say that my view is the attempt to link pre-natal screening to eugenics is drawing a long bow. Attempting to link the policies of this organisation to practices of Nazi Germany is sheer hyperbole and people who make this link need to take a step back and reconsider their position.

I wish you well Jay but I can't really support what you have done here in this thread.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

5. BB Global

BB Global Member

Not to put a fringe view at the forefront, but as far as I knew Autism only really entailed that the individual with the personality trait doesn't "imagine in a group" or "works better alone"? I've read that Silicon Valley has the highest autism occurrence rate anywhere in the world, yet the ability of the "diagnosed" doesn't hinder their education, the "diagnosed" are still getting good grades.

I was in a different gaming community where an Autism Check website was put up and I have no appearance on the spectrum.

It does seem that whenever any kind of "discernible parameter of the mind" is written somewhere in a, normally, legally protected (even my online booking confirmation website, should I have a pending blood test or health check, has a disclaimer that viewing it when not the practice or person is a criminal offence) medical file, the opportunity for social stratification raises. In 'game of teams' most people will look for new ways to increase the volume of the group by bringing taboo subjects to a discussion with the end result being a headhunt.

As for that if a charity is letting it's targetted recipients down it is always best to present the reasons why to someone in politics.

There is an old rule, the more population you have, and the more variables to consider (like crime etc) the less likely an individual is to recognise bad/criminal behaviour, everything tends to normalisation the higher the sample, report it - it might go nowhere (someone will mention Cassandra syndrome in this case) it might get actualisation potential (investigation), either way best to try rather than leave it in living memory as unresolved.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Its more than just that. I included that link to show that it isn't just a personal hobby-horse.There's a lot of controversy surrounding that organisation. And I've been around autism groups long enough to know that most autistic adults , and often their families too, are deply offended bty the organisation

Indeed, I've put up with a lot of unfairness as one must. But I can't, on principle, condone the active promotion of an organisation like AS, coupled with the repression of other POVs, irrespective of where that is happening. THat crosses a line that should never be crossed. I wish I could . I shall miss PCF sorely, but if that situation continues...

Indeed it is, but not half so "emotional" as having to hear AS praised to the heavens, for all their "good work" and having no right of reply. Discussion is fine ;)

Well, you could call it returning hyperbole for hyperbole lol. But seriously, one problem with AS is that they actually stigmatise Autistic people in the way they present things. Put that together with the pre-natal screening thing, their profound reluctance to let anyone with autism actually speak for themselves, and the fact that one USA state (I forget which) actually moved to have autism clasified as a notifiable disease, you can surely see where things might be heading?For myself, the main lesson from Nazi Germany is : social prejudice against Autisics can have severe consequences.

Btw, isn't pre-natal screening a form of eugenics, strictly speaking? You can say that eugenics is not a bad thing in this instance, but you can't (accurately) say that it isn't eugenics. That much is just a question of definition, not opinion.

Any equal and honest discussion appreciated, btw.

7. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

This is a tricky one so I'm going to try and make myself crystal clear on this point.

So, to directly address this issue and subject as you have presented it....

Whilst you have the right to have your Point of View heard, I do think that you went about it the wrong way at PCF. Please see my points below:​

• What you should have done was contact the event organiser privately outlining your concerns and giving him/her the opportunity of investigating things further and possibly having the chance to discuss it with you before going public in their event thread. The way you seem to have gone about this, not only unfairly casts the event host in a bad light but tarnishes the good work they are trying to do. Your personal feelings about the chosen charity aside, the host is genuinely trying to do a good thing in raising money for charity.

• If you had no joy doing point 1 above and still felt the need to publicly express your concerns, you should have created a new thread in the off topic area, linking to the event thread as a reference.

• At any time, you could, and should, have been in contact with the Moderators, again outlining your concerns and possibly enlisting their help to not only publicly express your concerns to the event organiser but to also make sure it was done in as neutral a fashion as possible so as not to offend anyone.

• PAF is not a daughter forum of PCF. We are not the place to go running to and whining when you don't like the way things are handled at PCF. There are systems and procedures in place for disputes with the way the Moderators do their jobs, SO USE THEM! You cannot expect to cause issues at PCF and then come running over here to post the same things again and expect not to get a kick in the backside for doing it. They have rules, we have rules and what you have done in BOTH forums has clearly violated the stated rules. See Forum Rule 2b, 2c and 2d (quoted below for everyone's convenience and appropriately poignant sections or words are highlighted in regards to this issue)

• Posting this topic HERE the way you have and issuing what is essentially a challenge to the Moderators to delete it forthwith, is not only unfair but frankly quite stupid on your part. I have always considered you someone of integrity and good sense with a helpful and good humoured attitude. To say that I am disappointed by this would be understating things by a very large factor.

• Before you posted this thread, why did you not bring your concerns to one of our Forum Staff first? Surely you knew this was going to cause waves? Surely you knew that we would be forced to moderate this in lines with our own Forum Rules?

Lastly, and quite frankly rather superfluously, this thread will remain visible only to serve as an example to others that this sort of action will not be tolerated, nor will there be zero consequences for pulling a stunt like this. It will however be closed at this time.

If you wish to repost your poll with an appropriately titled thread so as to highlight its valid research then please do so. Otherwise, please direct further questions or concerns to me via PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.